• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lug pattern

87xjpioneer757

NAXJA Forum User
What other vehicles does a XJ share a lug pattern with, I need a spare tire and wheel and it would make it MUCH easier to find one if, say, Ford or Chevy had the same pattern

I know all explorers and rangers before the new, big explorers do, and maybe mustangs as well. My dad's 98 Buick Regal also does, which probably means most GM midsize sedans do.

By the way, it won't be hard to find a Jeep one at all at a junk yard, any jeep one will fit except the new GC wheels. And you could order a brand new steel one for $35 or so.

The bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5"

However, other vehicles are very likely to have a different backspace or offset, and while it may work for temporary use on the Jeep I'd really recommend getting a Jeep wheel to match the other four.

87-91 Dakotas use the 5 on 4.5 along with RWD Chryslers (80's 5th aves, Diplomats, Grand Fury) along with any RWD car from the 70's in the Chrysler camp. I doubt backspacing is right but I would rather have one with backspacing off than none at all.

T

i bought a spare wheel and tire from a ranger. the bolt pattern was the same, but it would'nt fit over the front hub. just something to think about.

Wow, you guys answer in droves! I guess I'll look for a wheel from a Jeep or a 4x4 wheel from just about any Ford product (4x4 because of the larger hub hole) Thanks, guys!

I find mine, where they replace a lot or rims. People often buy a new set of alloy rims and leave there old tires and rims at the shop. I usually talk to the tire changer, most of the old steel rims go in the junk pile.

ok you guys start droolin' --- just got home with a utility trailer built from an international truck bed & 3/4 ton trailer axle --- the spares from the MJ fit like a champ --- no carrin two sets of spares
kev

oh and by the way the trailer was abandoned in the desert.

Around here, I look in the Bargain News, the weekly shoppers' newspaper. It's quite common to find Jeep rims that have come off to make way for larger tires and wheels. I've gotten brand new spare tire/wheel combos that have never been used for $20, and I've bought a full set of five XJ/YJ 5-spoke alloys with 50% 30x9.50 tires already mounted for $140.

You just have to look around, and ask around. Jeep rims are out there. You can use rims from Cherokees, Comanches, YJ (leaf spring) and TJ (coil spring) Wranglers, and Grand Cherokees through 1998.

Sorry to hijack, but If I decided to get an explorer 8.8 rear end, I would be able to keep the same wheels? I am thinking about getting CRAGAR 397 15X8 5X4.5 4.0 BACKSPACE those. would they fit?
thanks

Blackash132 said:
Sorry to hijack, but If I decided to get an explorer 8.8 rear end, I would be able to keep the same wheels? I am thinking about getting CRAGAR 397 15X8 5X4.5 4.0 BACKSPACE those. would they fit?
thanks

Yup They fit... (also known as SOFT-8, identical to the unique model), unless there is a difference in lenghts in the rear axles between the jeep and ford 8.8 (which I doubt)

PA310437.JPG

Back