• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37" D30 axle

tvguy

NAXJA Forum User
I know some one right now has a thread going but hear is the scoop. A D30 with Warn axles,4.56 gears and Detroit locker also have a atlas transfer case. I am THINKING of going to 37's form 35's but do not want to screw with a good thing. Just curious if it would hol dup :lecture:

8.8 rear detroit, auto,not a heavy foot trying to save up for a better front axle, is a DD for now till I get a car, I have done moab without problems and colorado trails too

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Will it work hell yes.... will it be bomb proof hell no.
Led

I had a 30 in mine before I put the 44 in with 38 TSL's.I broke lots of axle shafts(stock with 297 joint) and unit bearings.I'm thinking another upgrade is in my future,a 60 maybe.

Yeah Led. Tell the kiddies about D30's and big tires. :laugh3:

if your saving for a bigger axle, dont buy the 37's and spend that money towards an axle. then sell your 30 to buy the tires

Have you broken anything with your current set up and 35's?

I haven't broken anything yet with a dana 30 front end with an arb, 4.56 gears and 35" mtrs (297 u-joints). I carry a complete set of axle shafts front and rear with a rear xj dana 44. I don't beat on it either driving the Rubicon and Fordyce.

I truely believe that an ARB is a big part in making a LOCKED D30 last with big tires. Only use it when ya need it.

jeepme said:
I truely believe that an ARB is a big part in making a LOCKED D30 last with big tires. Only use it when ya need it.

Yeah, I love having that thing. I only use it in rough spots where I need a little more traction, othewise I leave it off and off for making tight turns on the Con and Fordyce. You did good on the Con Jeff with the Aussie in your front axle, just got to use your arms a little more.

A 35" is plenty in any kind of wheeling on an xj with a stock dana 30, even with a dana 44 up front. A 33" tire does the job nicely too and is a little easier on the drivetrain. A 37" is overkill, but pretty impressive to see on an xj.

Last edited:
I know a tj that runs 37 mtrs on a lp 30. he cruises the hammers and az ALL THE TIME. rarely has a problem. He has a 2low case, so that helps. As well as the ARB.
Matt

Scrappy said:
I know a tj that runs 37 mtrs on a lp 30. he cruises the hammers and az ALL THE TIME. rarely has a problem. He has a 2low case, so that helps. As well as the ARB.
Matt

I don't beat on my rig with 35's and being locked front and rear arb f/detroit r. It all depends on how you drive. Also an automatic trans also helps. It can be done with 37's, but that is crazy. Get the alloy 30 spline axles (Super Kit) if you want to keep the dana 30.
Troy

sell the polished D30 on JU for $9,000, put in a kingpinned D60, weld it, and be done with it

(not a d60 from a 93?+dodge that used tiny shafts and vac disconnect)

I have not broken anything with my current set up the atlas keeps me slow when I need it.

yawn........

things you need for 37's.....

numerically high gears
big ass brakes
big ass ball joints
true high steer, maybe assist
strong housing
strong tube
bigger bolt center to support bigger rims to clear your bigger brakes
and maybe more.

is the dana 30 a good match?

no.

got "all show, no go"? then keep your 30.

Its not if, but when. The 30 is NOT made for 37's. I ran 37 SSR's on an open 30 for more than a year and had no breakage. That being said however,,,I did not run any extreme trails in that configuration.
As far as the super 30 well do it but you have just made the ring and pinion the week spot. Ever seen D30 gears. They are small ASS!
If you are gonna lock it carry spares.

All that being said just keep savin for a D44. You'll be in a better spot.

Back