• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do to a dd?

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I am getting fairly frustrated with taking long trips in my xj especially now that winter is here and the 36's don't like snow. Not to mention the rough ride. I still will probably drive it during the summer and when I feel like it but, I am going to pick up an xj or hopefully an mj to become the pavement pounder. I will most likely rescue an mj from a junkyard because it is by far the cheepest way. I have an idea what I want to do but I want to see what everyone has to say. I am thinking a 4.0L but I am considering a 2.5L what kind of gas mileage to the 4bangers get? I want to go ax-15 and 242 but I know I can't mate the 2.5L and the ax-15 easily but has it ever been done? What would be good for the suspension? I think I will swap in leather limited buckets and a limited interior. I was thinking a 97+ front clip and modern tail lights off of something. What would you do?

as far as the engine i would try to go with the 4.0. From what ive heard it only gets a couple less miles to the gallon but, it has much more power.

scottsxj said:
as far as the engine i would try to go with the 4.0. From what ive heard it only gets a couple less miles to the gallon but, it has much more power.
I have power covered with my stroker in my xj. I am after gas mileage. Is the 2.5L so gutless that I will regret not going to the 4.0L? I am almost contemplating an import v6 swap to get the best of both worlds.:gag:

I personally thing that if your set on a 4 banger xj/mj, just go for an import instead. Look for maybe an early 90's maxima or camry. They hold up well, and get good gas mileage.

I´ve bought a ´94 4.0 Limited as a DD.

It gets my old 2" OME, 255/75R15 street tires (thats about 30x10") on 7x15 AR767, a JVC cd tuner, K&N drop in filter, tinted windows and some lights. Plus it´ll be converted to LPG.

Thats all.

Ill be getting either a 96 XJ classic, or an s10 blazer.

All im going to do is a 2", some 30s, Altezzas/clears (off my 88), a billet grille, and some cheap performance products.

me and my girl got those

i own an 87 xj and she owns a 94 blazer with a 4.3 in it

here blazer has a bit more power but gas mileage is the same but here 4wd sucks

I am not set on the 4 banger at all I just don't know enough about them to compare the 4.0L and the 2.5L. A TDi sounds good too. but in all reality I don't know if I want to deal with swapping in something that wasn't an oem option. Does OME make springs that keep the stock height?

blazers are way ghetto though. (build quality, especially the interior) i mean so is my jeep compared to my ranger, but blazers are even more so. the blazer has more power than the jeep? the factory only gave them 165 hp, some came with an optional 200hp but still outweigh the cherokee by hundreds of pounds. you do have the non-ho version but still, it seems wrong to get whooped by a blazer.

The 4.0L non ho has 178 hp
The 4.0L ho has 190 hp
The 2.5L pre 91' TB inj has about 115 hp
The 2.5L 91' sequential inj has around 125 or so.

Get the 4.0L you are not doing yourself any favors in getting the 2.5L, plus you might even use more gas by having to stand on the gas to get going. If you absolutely want a 2.5L get a later model and preferably with a 5 speed manual. It seems the MJ's had the 4 banger quite readily. I really have to look hard to find an xj with a 4 banger, most everyone has that nice 4.0L badge on the tailgate. Or maybe some 4 banger guys do that for looks. Nay, I think they really are 4.0L :)
Troy

What are the gas mileage numbers between the two? I think the 4.0L is what I'll end up with but I just want to think about all my options. What about the suspension? Does anyone make progressive rate coils or what can I pull em off of? I don't want to lift it, a 1" lift or drop wouldn't bother me though. I was thinking poly swaybar bushings, and I have a 23mm sway bar. I would keep everything else rubber for a better ride. Do mj's have rear sway bars?

My rig started out as a 85 XJ w/carb'd 2.5L. I changed to throttle body injection, cam, and headers. It made a big difference, but I live in Colorado with the high mountain passes. It wheeled fine, but freeways were a pain. I got 25+ with it configure that way.

I built a 4.7L stroker and put it in. Driving on the road I get 15+ at 75mph, but my rig is lifted, running 35's and has a large roof rack. If I drop it to 60, I get 20+.

The stroker is a lot of fun to drive. It will pass anything on the road and loves hills. It's hard to keep your foot off of the skinny pedal.

Most people will tell you that you can't use an AX-15 on a 2.5L. Check out www.pirate4x4.com and do a search on the jeep forum. If I remember, a guy just did a conversion using a bell housing from a different brand rig. There were issues about pilot shaft and such, but he worked through them.

Last edited:
Back