• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas on how to mount my snowboard

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
Obviously I could mount it to the stock rack with those crappy mounts that are made- But I gotta 3" lift comming and a Olympic top hat roof rack. So, I need some ideas on how to mount it. The coolest idea I've seen is some guy with a XJ bent tubing to go from the rack over the left rear glass and made the mounts there- thought that was a good idea- have no clue how to do it.. any other ideas?
- and no I cant just throw it in th back

dothedew24_7 said:
Obviously I could mount it to the stock rack with those crappy mounts that are made- But I gotta 3" lift comming and a Olympic top hat roof rack. So, I need some ideas on how to mount it. The coolest idea I've seen is some guy with a XJ bent tubing to go from the rack over the left rear glass and made the mounts there- thought that was a good idea- have no clue how to do it.. any other ideas?
- and no I cant just throw it in th back
duct tape it!
well you said you got the olympic top rack thingie.... so why not use bungy cords?

Have you been to your local sporting good store and seen the many different mounts that they make for snowboards and or ski's?

I get the idea from your post you are trying to make it look like a wake board rack on a ski boat? If this is the case, then make a piece of steel tube that attaches to your rack for you to hold the board on.

My ski's and boards stay in Yakima racks because they are safe, locked and protected from road grime. I am not interested in the looks, but the protection of my equipment.

just some thoughts,
Michael

724.jpg

This is what I'm running, the Thule 724 4-ski/2-board carrier. There are adapters to mount it to factory or other racks as well as the standard square Thule crossbars. Like Michael said, it remains locked when I'm not with the Jeep

If you got a trailer hitch, theres a bunch of companies that makes racks that go in the hitch

Dean

I had been thinking about this also, This will be the first year for my jeep in boarding season. and those long trips to VT make for alot of road grime if they are on the outside... So i am geting a cheep bag for my board you know one of those slip covers. then when i get my swing arm finished I am going to make an attachment for the swingout tire carrier on the rear bumper that will clamp around the board (Boards cause we all go in packs :party: so your right no just throwing it in the back that's for the ladies :D )

any way, I have a 4.5in lift and getting those things on and off the roof seem like alittle bit of a hassle.
I do all my own work so it's not hard for me to make this beast.
so any way that's my ideaer (occ any one?)
best of luck to ya man

Board4LIfe!

I don't understand the problem. I could see you being concerned with your SKIS getting there in good shape but a snowboard? Who cares? Use duct tape and if it flies off you have an excuse to buy a set of skis.
Altaholic4lyf.

snowboarding is much better. I skied when I was a little guy then I saw the light, one board is better than two.

Dean

The only thing that bothers me with putting the board on the back is the length. When you mount skis on the back, they are turned sideways to the airflow over the top of the Jeep. Unless you've got a weird carrier that sticks two feet out the back, a board is going to act like an airbrake and will catch the road crud from over the top and the bottom.

Since you say a 4.5" lift makes getting to the top intimidating, I'm guessing you're not 6'4" though? You've probably got a correspondingly shorter board too but I'm thinking it would still be good to get it up top. Unless...it were mounted horizontally on the back. You'd have to block the rear window though to keep the taillights visible and a board would still get bathed in roadcrap; my rear hatch is often covered in a thick layer of cruddy goo from roadsplash...maybe that's still not a good solution. Hmmm...you've got me intrigued though.

Last edited:
the mounts that are made for hitches are made to hold the boards so they stick out so their isnt any resistance

Dean

Cool - I don't see a lot of rear-mounted board or ski holders around here; it seems most of the folks have cargo boxes or racks up top. Wranglers are the only exception, and the only time I've noticed boards on there it was because they had one sticking out the back window...:p

how about mounted on the side of the rack?.. kinda like a hi-lift. and it'd still be easier to get to than way on top of the rack or in it

that could work if you got creative. Maybe weld some brackets the same diameter as a thule load bar sticking up vertically and then get a 2 snowboard carrier like yucca-man posted and throw those on there. Dont know how well that would work but it seems like it would be fine.

Dean

yeah not 6' 4" I am 6' 3" barefoot... :p 161cm board and i was thinking sideways for less resistance..

The side idea could work well. If your welding or bolting vertical bars on the sides anyway, you could pick up some thick rubber or maybe weatherstripping and make your own rack system. Another bonus would be that it will make the sides of your rack higher, so you'll be able to pile more stuff in the rack. :D

i need an idea on how to mount one of these, i can make it, i just need dimentions and or ideas

im thinking reciever mount so i can put it front or back
B0000DBJRX.01-A1MBPEGNFWYUX5.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

just playing around and giving you a hard time

all in good fun

Back