• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomkin Rock Rails

I bought my jeep used, loaded with tomken stuff.

It had the 2x2 rocker guards on them, and I can tell you they suck. The part that sucks is the mounting on them. I had to modify them after they pushed up into my rockers. Spend your money elsewhere for those. I just started cutting them up for scrap this past weekend.

The bumpers I really like though.

_nicko_

I've got the 2x4s on mine, and I have the same problem. The mounting area really needs to be spread over a larger area of the rocker. Mine pushed up the rocker just using a high-lift to change a tire, even though they claim they can be used as jacking points.

I put on the 2x4 version as my first mod back in 97. Have landed on them VERY hard with no damage so far. I think it has to do with the way I enstalled them. They are stressed such that I had to loosen the bolts on the subframe in order to get the rail mounts into the subframe pieces and then tightened it all up.:badpc:

XJ_MAC said:
I put on the 2x4 version as my first mod back in 97. Have landed on them VERY hard with no damage so far. I think it has to do with the way I enstalled them. They are stressed such that I had to loosen the bolts on the subframe in order to get the rail mounts into the subframe pieces and then tightened it all up.:badpc:

I think you don't wheel hard enough...... :moon: :kissyou:

shotstopper said:
Since it sounds like Tomkin is not a good idea. What would be a good rock rail for a reasonable price and that doesn't take away to much from ground clearance?
I don't know exactly what you mean here. They all hang down a little. Only other way would be to replace the rockers with thick steel. I have AJ's Super Rails and they are just about even with the "frame rails" so there is no loss of ground clearance. My 3/4" dropped crossmember and skidplate hang down alot lower than my rails.
For low cost and high quality I'd go AJ's www.ajsoffroadarmor.com
great customer service too.

Back