• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Valley in Feb

wolfheartak

NAXJA Member #715
Hey all, I'm working on a trip to Death Valley in the begining of February. Some of you recall pics of our "WhirlWind Tour". So what I wanted to know from those who think they want to go, is one of these two things-

1. Have a run like that one, see a lot of things but do it really really fast (meaning 1/2 of your pics will be taken from a moving vehicle and the other 1/2 you won't remember being there)

2. See not as many things but take a bit more time.

None of the roads are hard, and only a few will you need 4wd, so it should be easy going, and we'll be able to travel fairly quickly. But they can be long and take a while to get from one place to the next.

Let me know what you think so I can make more concrete plans. Thanks!

-Marisha

I should have my new XJ by then. yes... that's right... i am moving up to 4WD!!!

keep details posted. I am definately interested in whatever we do.

Do we not have an option 3? (take all the time necessary to see what we need to see and not be rushed?) Death Valley is something that is worth the time you spend there. Maybe we could do 2 groups, 1 group for people who want to take a week and some change. And the others who want to do it in 3 days.

Just a thought, but I am interested in going if my jeep is mobile at the time.

-Scott

Well if the trails not hard then sightseein is the order of the day. I dont like to rush when I'm sightseein. My vote is for semi long, not quite a week but 4 days would be good.

There is no option 3 because it would take you a life time to see everything there is to see, even then you might not finish-And the not being rushed, that's what number 2 is all about. ;) think more between quantity or quality.

There are a few favorite places that are all spaced a good distance apart, that need some planning to get there in a few days. The area is fairly big and there is lots there, so this will be more like a sample.

I will only be able to be there for 3 days, if you want to stay by all means please do so. I have been up there twice this year and am planning to go again in 2 weeks.

I just wanted to know if you all would want to see a lot or take it a bit more leisurely. If there ins't much one way or the other, I'll try to make it a happy medium.

-Marisha

ryurabbit said:
My vote is for semi long, not quite a week but 4 days would be good.

I'm planning on just a Fri-Sun thing (there are those of us that don't get paid for vacation), but stay longer if you like, you'll be happy you did. I am just looking to see about how much I should try to put in each day. Kinda looks like quality is taking the cake.

-Marisha

Slow and relaxed is definetly the way to experience death valley. Did you find out if we would have to stay at designated "group" camp sites?

If you're out there in 2 weeks I'd be interested in knowing the road conditions. The official line on the website lists every dirt road in the south east and most of the paved roads as still being closed.

If you want a good trail that's kinda requires 4wd check out echo canyon out of furnace creek heading over to Lee town site and Aramgosa valley. There's a water fall in the middle which is kinda fun. If you leave early you can catch Rhyolite and Titus canyon on the way back.

Enjoy,

Matt

Marisha

What weekend are you shooting for?

Sonia and I are hoping to do Panamint Valley Days in November. Maybe have a couple of ideas for some more technical stuff.

I don't really know where I'm going in 2 weeks, I know were headed to the Saline Warm Springs and Papose (sp?) Flats. The guy that's taking us was out there in the middle of Sept and said all the roads we are taking are passable (officially open *may* be another story).

I'd love to try Titus, but it's one way from Nevada, and we won' be over that far. Echo Canyon looks cool too, but havent done that one yet either. One of these days. I didn't want to lead a bunch of us yahoos through the desert blindly- So I'm trying to stick to the places I've been, but I try to do something new everytime I go.

Plans are one of the first weekends in February, but I've got to get MJR to do all the legwork to make it a NAXJA run, and we're still working on a few things.

-Marisha

You'll be pretty far from where most of the damage is. The road from the south side of Saline valley up to race track used to be a pretty fun side trip but I think its been graded.

Enjoy,

Matt

mattb said:
You'll be pretty far from where most of the damage is. The road from the south side of Saline valley up to race track used to be a pretty fun side trip but I think its been graded.

Enjoy,

Matt

yeah it's graded. We we're told that happened late last year. But that's ok. The scenery is still awesome-Not really going to be a hardcore wheeling trip.

-Marisha

Im up for a nice leisurely stroll through death valley, I;'ll have the kiddos with me so it would be nice to just take it easy

I'd be up for it, depending on work at the time... I'm looking to move back to Phoenix in the near future and find a job with a new company. I'd love to cruise out here and do the Death Valley thing, if I can get the time off work. I'll keep ya posted!

-Mike

wolfheartak said:
I'd love to try Titus, but it's one way from Nevada, and we won' be over that far. Echo Canyon looks cool too, but havent done that one yet either. One of these days. I didn't want to lead a bunch of us yahoos through the desert blindly- So I'm trying to stick to the places I've been, but I try to do something new everytime I go.
-Marisha

Let me know if you want to make a trip a little further east.

Matt

If my life settles down, I'll try and plan the longer "overlap trip" that we discussed earlier in the year for those that want to spend more time.

Right now I can't plan into next week. My current company is moving locations at the end of this month and they're driving me crazy. I'm interviewing for a new job at the same time, so I hope to move my old company and then quit to start a new job. No stress!

Toss in the first holidays with my kids now living in the SF bay area and I'll be lucky if I don't find a way to run myself over... :cry: :wow:

bburge

If I get my yeep a little further along by then I'm there. (If I don't I may have to 'off' myself.) I've always wanted to see Death Valley and this sounds ideal. What are the camping 'amenities'. If I can bring my Boy (hopefully) then I need to get his mindset right for pit toilets or whatever is out there. I haven't tented it with him yet. Please let me know and see you all in Feb.
:party:
Tony

Once we get it all worked out we'll let you know where "home" will be (it's not going to be the same place everynight though). Gimme a couple weeks, but I'll get details up as soon as the BOD lets me.

-Marisha

Back