• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are axles on a XJ 44 equal length

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a spare shaft thinking that they are equal length. Is this true. If not, anyone know how long each side is so i can figure out which one I need. Thankx

The passenger side is 1/2" longer than the driver side. I don't recall what the length of each side is but I'm sure someone will pipe up.

have heard they are different lengths, but if you carry the longer one as a spare, you can make do...

you got that backwards.

When the shafts are installed on the correct side, they seat all the way in the carrier. the long side shaft wont seat in the short side, but the short side will fit the long side, but not have as much spline contact.

NCSUcherokee said:
you got that backwards.

When the shafts are installed on the correct side, they seat all the way in the carrier. the long side shaft wont seat in the short side, but the short side will fit the long side, but not have as much spline contact.

That's good to hear. I've got a spare driver side axle shaft for my D44 that I was wondering if I could use to get me home if the passenger side broke. Sounds like it will work.

They are not the same length.
driver's side is 29 1/4
pass side is 29 3/4
carry the shorter (driver's) as a trail spare.

P

Back