• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 XJ, 4.0, 4x4, auto, 4 door, electrical problem...

csr_011

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i put in a new lighter sunday night. Afterwards the stereo quit working and my gas guage reads about 1 full tank too much..... Maybe a coincidence, but my alternator died a few hours later on the highway traveling home, the alternator was a reman, 5 years old. bench tested the alternator, was bad, only kicking about 0-3 volts, replaced it. The stereo comes on then shuts off in a few minutes, the gas guage still a tank too far over full, and the lighter works like a charm. What did i do? Please help. im not an electrical man at all so i am at a loss after checking for blown fuses and such. Thanks in advance.

Cory

Until someone comes along w/a better idea, try "backtracking" . . . disconnect the lighter and see if things have returned to normal . . . I tend to doubt that will work because these things seem unrelated to me . . . . but, that's where I would start. Don

Do your dash lights work ??? I think they are all connected as far as a ground goes. It's really hard to say, but backtracking is probably a really good idea.

everything works but the speedo and the stereo, welll i take that back, i didnt have an indiot light come on before i realized the alternator crappped out on me on the highway the other night. I did replace a bulb in the trans/comfort switch though......

Cory

Back