• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over Heating

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, right when I think I have fixed everything on the Jeep.....here we go again!! Alright, here is the scenario.....I will be driving down the road at 35 MPH and the temperature gauge will start to slowly go past 210. When I get to a stop, it REALLY goes up to the red zone (not fast, it doesn't just jump up there, but it creeps the longer I sit there.) Now if I am driving down the freeway at 60 -65, the gauge sits right below 210 (probably 200 or so). Then I come to a stop getting off the freeway, it starts the over heating problem. Well I was driving over the Snoqualmie pass and it started over heating when I was trying to climb the pass. I pulled over opened up the cooling bottle up on the passenger side and let it blow off its steam and left the electric fan running to help cool it down. 15 minutes later, I get back in the Jeep and merge back into traffic and the Jeep is running just fine. Well I am on my way back home and it starts doing the above problem. So, I decide to turn my heater on full blast (hoping that it cools the Jeep down)....well with my luck, nothing happens the Jeep just keeps getting hot.

I am getting fed up with this hunk of junk. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know what it is? I replaced my water pump and my thermostat about 4 months ago. The serpentine belt needs to be replaced BADLY (not sure if that would cause the problem) Someone PLEASE help!!!!

There's a bazillion threads on this topic, but you probably need to replace the fan clutch. $45 special order part from pep boys or $80+ at the stealership.

Planetcat said:
There's a bazillion threads on this topic, but you probably need to replace the fan clutch. $45 special order part from pep boys or $80+ at the stealership.

Yep, there ARE a bazillion threads. Fan clutches, better *read 200 dollar* fans, or even complete upgrades in cooling systems. I was told when I had a 96 motor thrown into my 89, the 'old' cooling system wasn't up to par for the new engine..a warped head later, ya know..they could be right. However, the big ticket fan pushed enough air, haven't had a problem since. I had a Checker auto electric fan, but it didn't push enough cfm to do the job with the new engine, though it was fine for the original. Hard to say which solution will fix yours..but there are solutions. Sounds like yours just isn't getting enough air pushed thru the radiator, since it does fine until slower speeds, and climbing, where the engine works harder. Mine heated on steeper climbs, and slow trails/in city driving, at less than 35 mph. :viking:

Back