• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ dudes - how'd you lift and how high did you go?

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searchng like a maniac for the last few days (here and elsewhere), so I think I'm shell-shocked right now after reading so many threads...

For those who have lifted MJ's, how did you do it? SOA, Cherokee front end lift kit? Etc.

I'm planning mine now and want to end up about 4 - 4 1/2 inches over factory. Some say a straight SOA will get me 6 - 8 inches (I say no way). It *LOOKS* like going SOA on my D35 will put me pretty much around 4 inches or so - not adding any leafs back there.

I'm looking at Rubicon rims and tires to mount up, so this height should clear nicely and allow for some off-roading fun, too.

I'd appreciate your MJ-lifting related thoughts.

right now I have mine at about 7" with SOA rear and mix-n-matched leaf packs, leaf conversion up front.

I used to have it lifted about 5.5". I had the rear SOA, I pulled the overload leaf out, and swapped some of the other leafs for flatter XJ leafs. This is what I would recommend doing, and also swapping to an XJ shackle to drop about .5".

For the front I used short-arm lift components, the angles sucked and rode like crap with 5" and short arms. In my experience, and also according to the guys at RE, MJs usually sit a little lower (.5"-1") than an XJ using the same coils, so take that into account.

old, 5 or 5.5" lift, 33s:
4_G.jpg

new, ~7" lift, 35s:
P1010015.jpg

this was done with SOA, 1" lifted St. louis spring springpacks, and 3" BDS lift blocks in back.

front was 4.5" RE springs, custom mounts on the full width dana 44hd front axle, custom front longarm suspension, and lowering the upper mount on the "frame"

paul-1.jpg

overall lift was about 10 inches, and it cleared 37" ssr's, and was entirely drivable on teh street.

BrettM said:
considering what that thing looked like 5 minutes later I would say it was too tall ;)

I think it would have rolled even if it was only at 6" ;)

I had the RE MJ 5.5" kit on the front of my MJ, and SOA in the rear. Like Brett said, the front was lower than the same kit on an XJ, and on mine, the rear was a little lower than the front. The kit had short arms with drop brackets so it rode nicely, but I only wheeled it in snow, so I can't comment on clearance issues.

BrettM said:
considering what that thing looked like 5 minutes later I would say it was too tall ;)
any pics?

Remember that a straight SOA will provide 4.5-5.5 inches over your *current height* (mostly depending on the perch and axle you use). Some of us have MJs with sagging springs and that won't necessarily match brand new 5" coils up front.
I added an extra main leaf to my 2wd packs (and retained the overload leafs) to help keep the rear from sagging any more once I added the rollbar/bumper/tire and camping/repair supplies. Seems to work great and matches the 5.5" I have up front (3" coils plus 2.5" from using the Ford radius arms).
You'll get even more opinions on MJ lifts over at the Comanche Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/
Jeep on!
--Pete

Never thought to try Yahoo! Good call - thanks!

The truck sits level right now, so I don't think there's much sag in the rear. I can always add a leaf later if it becomes a problem.

I just don't want to do the SOA on the D35 and end up with 7+ inches of lift. I want "ability to perform standard feats off road competantly", not "Holy Crap Ma! Lookit the Monster truck!"

Maybe a shackle lift, aal, combined with the appropriate lift coils up front and some 31's-32's with some metal trimming are in order then. This will save you big headaches in the control arm/trac bar/steering dept.

Best of luck.

Back