• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm bolt size?

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know the size of the control arm bolts? I am going to be making some adjustments and saw the opportunity to make an excuse to replace some hardware with grade 8. thanks for any help...

soulslngr said:
anyone know the size of the control arm bolts? I am going to be making some adjustments and saw the opportunity to make an excuse to replace some hardware with grade 8. thanks for any help...

The stock bolts are stronger than grade 8s.

They are the best for the situation. The flange style heads keep them from loosening up easily.

If it was me keep the stockers.

hinkley

stronger really? okay, I just wasnt sure how long you could use them, with the loosening and retightening that they see. as long as no probs with that then shoot i'll hang on to them, and spend money elsewhere! thanks!

Mark Hinkley said:
The stock bolts are stronger than grade 8s.

They are the best for the situation. The flange style heads keep them from loosening up easily.

If it was me keep the stockers.

hinkley
You're talking about the lowers? or also uppers? Because I keep meaning to replace the one that's in the UCA on the frame end as the metal piece that's on the bolt head end is a PITA. It'd be so much easier to deal with it for removal if you could just take a socket to it on the outside side and spin it out then to use a wrench from the inside.

They are metric, so you won't be finding "Grade 8" -- you'll have to settle for the metric equivalent.

Uppers are 10mm. Lowers are larger, so I'll guess 12mm ... I don't think they're big enough to be 14mm.

Going by the RE parts list on my recently-installed Drop Brackets I agree that the uppers are 10mm; RE wants you to drill the UCA pocket (inside the 'frame') to 1/2" (12.7mm) to accept a stronger bolt.

As for the lowers...they called for 9/16" x 12 x 4.5" bolts in the old mounting locations for the LCA. Grade 8 on the SAE, 10.9 on the metrics.

Back