• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is 6013 strong enough for axle brackets and steering linkages??

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm curious as to whether 6013 is strong enough for brackets and linkages that have life-threatening consequences if they fall apart. I know it's plenty strong for bumpers and rockrails, but what about the other stuff? Reason I ask is 'cause I weld 10 times better with 1/8" 6013 than I do with 1/8" 7018. I was going through the suspension last night after doing a couple little things, and I noticed that my leaf perches have started to crack at the welds and need to be redone. I think I also may have burned a hole through the tube as there is an oil spot surrounding the perch that seems to be coming from the weld itself. Anyone heard of that before? The only thing that makes me not want to believe I burned a hole through is that the same thing is happening on the LCA brackets on my Tera 50(these have not cracked) and the Tera 50 has .500 wall tubes.

Ary

60 in 6013 is the tensil strength it stands for 60,000 lbs thats' pretty dam strong now how the weld is layed and how much penitration is a whole other ball game. the 6013 rod looks nicer but it is also considered to be a medium penitration rod i used 6011 to weld my 8.8 tubes to the housing and although it isnt' the prettiest weld it is strong and will go thru slightly rusted material.
you can google welding rods and come up with all types of info. also make sure your using the right rod for the job.

Back