• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw-4 vent system ?'s, tranny gurus please read

TJS93xj

NAXJA Forum User
While pulling the motor and tranny to do a stroker conversion the vent tube fitting on the tranny broke off flush with the tranny housing. Was able to get the fitting out of the housing but one of the 4 ears that hold it in is missing. Dont know if it broke off while pulling the fitting or if it broke off some other time. My worry is that this small ear, (1/8 x 1/8", plastic) will now be floating around in the tranny. My question is, where internally is this fitting actually located? If I can figure that out I may be able to find the "missing ear". From the outside it appears to be located just above the pump as though it vents the pump housing, but that to me doesn't make sense.... Just went out and looked again and it sure seems that the fitting is located at or very near the pump. What portion of the tranny does the vent system actually vent

Any ideas on how the vent system is designed would be great. If the piece that broke off does get into the pump (assuming that is where the fitting is actually located) where would it go from there? If I thought it would be ground up by the pump and caught in the filter before screwing anything up I'd be tempted not to wory about it. It drives me crazy that I don't understand how auto trannys work, I understand the theory but not the specifics. As I've said before I can tear apart, inspect, reassemble, and test jet engines for a living but I just havn't had the opportunity to get inside an auto tranny.

Thanks for any ideas, tips, advice, or lectures on the oil and vent systems on these aw-4's. Knowledge is power!!

Back