• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source for rear power plug

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Sport / 4.0L / 4x4 / AT / tow pkg. :

I yanked the driver's side body panel off of the rear cargo area (under where the spare is stowed) thinking that surely there must be a nice fat heavy guage wire that would be a great canidate for use as a tap point for a rear mounted power outlet (cigar plug / 12v +).

Even though I did find a couple larger guage wires, neither was 12 +. One was a large light blue wire that was dead regardless if the ignition switch was off or on acc. and the other was a large black wire that appeared to be a ground.

The only 12+ wire I found that was "hot" / 12+ all the time was a weenie little red wire with a green (or was it blue?) stripe.

I didn't have time to tear into the opposite side, but all the trailer connections seemed to be there on the passenger side where I was.

Any ideas or do I need to run a dedicated heavy guage wire all the way to the battery??

Thanks for any thoughts ........... :)

Personally I would run a new wire with a fuse inline, you can route it under the the interior panels along the floor all the way to the back

crystalship1 said:
One was a large light blue wire that was dead regardless if the ignition switch was off or on acc. and the other was a large black wire that appeared to be a ground.
It's not that hard to run it to the back, but if you're really lazy, pop open the front drivers side kickpanel and you should be able to find the other end (also unattached) of that light blue wire. That wire is used if you get a brake controller and then you use it to send a signal to the back to the controller.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

It that is the case, I'm not sure that lazy is the correct term. I prefer "resourceful"!!! :laugh:

With you being the "resourbe" ` !! :,`ondy:
[QTOTE@ejtar]p's notphat ha` tn ru it to the back, but if you're really lazy, pop open the front drivdrs `de kic vanel ab ynu s`uld bepdble to@`ind the other ad (also unattached) of that light blue wire. That wire is used if xou `t ` br `e cont‚`ller ab then au use r to seb a sigN`l to the back to the controller.[/QUOTE]

Kejtar said:
It's not that hard to run it to the back, but if you're really lazy, pop open the front drivers side kickpanel and you should be able to find the other end (also unattached) of that light blue wire. That wire is used if you get a brake controller and then you use it to send a signal to the back to the controller.
just watch what you run off that light blue wire if i remember its only 16 guage, and that a run for 16 guage if you try to pull some amps off it. I personly wouldnt go any higher that 3or4 amps but you could most likley run 6 off it with only a little warmth.

You were absolutely right Scooby,

It's weird that it's so thick (looking) at the rear of the vehicle. I'm guessing they put some extra insulation for nick/cut protection??

Anyway ........ thanks to all. I ran a dedicated 12 guage wire from my secondary fuse block to the rear. I'll probably finish the job in the next few days.

Thanks again!!!
icon7.gif

scoobyxj said:
just watch what you run off that light blue wire if i remember its only 16 guage, and that a run for 16 guage if you try to pull some amps off it. I personly wouldnt go any higher that 3or4 amps but you could most likley run 6 off it with only a little warmth.

Back