• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP:Wiring diagrams for stereo needed

Hakan

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone out there that can help me with which wires are supposed to connect to which accordingly. I have an Aiwa deck that I am trasferring over from another vehicle. Which wires are what, my piece of junk Chilton does not have the wire codes listed of what is what. Can anyone help because I really don't feel like forking money over to Best Buy to install this.

Hak

What year? This is for an 84, probably good till 86 or so.

1984_Jeep_Cherokee_Stereo Information
Constant 12V+ Red/White_
Switched 12V+ Purple/White_
Ground Black_
Illumination Blue/Red_
Dimmer Orange/Black_
Antenna Right Front_
Front Speakers 5 1/4"_Doors
Left Front (+) Gray_
Left Front (-) Brown/Red_
Right Front (+) White/Red_
Right Front (-) Yellow_
Rear Speakers 5 1/4"_Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) Gray/White_
Left Rear (-) Brown_
Right Rear (+) White/Black_
Right Rear (-) Brown/White

Only one I have. Hope it helps it it's what you need.

Mine was wired differently than that so Jeep must have used more than one setup. I have a chart I made at home if yours does not match the above.

on my 85 the both right speakers shared a ground, and both left speakers shared a ground. This is not compatible with an aftermarket deck and will damage it.
To solve it I removed the kick pannels and found the negative wire going to each front door speaker. I then cut this wire on each side and ran a new wire up to the deck. I used the existing positive wire and the new negative wire for the fronts, and the existing negative circuit for the rear speakers.

Be shure to ckeck for this. Also insulate the ends of the negative that you cut in front as it will still be live.

if you need to do it on the cheap all you need is a test light and a 9 volt battery. ground the test light and probe the factory harness for 12v with the key on, light will come on when you have 12v supplied to it, then turn the key off. If the light goes off then that wire is the keyed on. Then search for constant 12v. use the 9 volt battery to find speakers. Hook up two wires til the speaker pops. Then find positive and negative for that speaker by having a helper watch the speaker pop in our out. If it pops in then the polarity is backwards and you need to switch the wires on the battery. When it pops out then the polarity is correct. Do this for the rest of the speakers. Easier to get the diagram, but if you dont have one this will work just as well.

You should also watch that the ignition 12V is not the headlight 12V, Even though I used a multimeter, I still hooked mine up to the what I thaught was the ignition 12V, until I checked again with the lights on and found the Swtched 12V+ Purple/White was the correct one.(No voltage with the lights on)

ThanX grizzley for your wiring outputs. the previous owner butchered the original harness. The head unit I pulled out and replaced I had nothing but unmarked wires to reattach.

if you head to your local car audio dealer they have a "theft repair" harness that has all of the correctly colored wires, usually around $12-$15. Might be worth it in the long run.

XJ_in_Canada said:
[ThanX grizzley for your wiring outputs. the previous owner butchered the original harness. The head unit I pulled out and replaced I had nothing but unmarked wires to reattach. [/B]

Not sure it'll work with your's though. Don't want to give out bad info. A lot changes in those years between.

Back