• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

series of questions...

ScratchYourName

NAXJA Forum User
what would be the pros and cons of getting an intake setup for my 93 xj with a 4.0 I6 and what would not fit entirely under the hood...i have a poweraid throttle body spacer...
so what fits and what doesnt and is this a bad idea, as in might iut suck up too much water and kill the motor like it did my buddys car???
also, where might i find a gas tank skid plate or other cool, cheap skids??
thx guys

what type of intake setup wont fit under the hood?? talking about a supercharger or something??? the TB spacer "shouldnt" affect clearance much at all.... and if you planon wheeling it anywhere besides the mall you need to make sure your air is PRPOPERY filtered... water will do very bad things to engines as you aparently know... specify a lil more info about what you are looking for and more on WHY you are lookng for an intake upgrade...
as for skids, etc.. look in our vendors forum first and then check out www.quadratec.com they have tons of good stuff and good prices...

well ive heard specifically that the KandN FIPK may not fit under the hood due to clearence issues when a throttle body spacer is installed...
and yes I plan of wheeling elsewhere besides the mall.
arizona desert stuff, and i am hoping this intake will allow more horsepower, cause im addicted to horsepower...however if you have a cheaper (or somewhat comparible) alternative to maximizing horsepower, id be open to any suggestions.
purpose of intake= faster on road, faster off.

IM looking for something to boost power and speed basically.

Scratch, I gotta agree I have the setup you are talkin about on my 91 cherokee and there is no space left to put in a throttle body spacer. I am getting a really decent improvement from the K & N, luckily, so I am not sure you would need a spacer with this set up anyway.

ScratchYourName said:
well ive heard specifically that the KandN FIPK may not fit under the hood due to clearence issues when a throttle body spacer is installed...
and yes I plan of wheeling elsewhere besides the mall.
arizona desert stuff, and i am hoping this intake will allow more horsepower, cause im addicted to horsepower...however if you have a cheaper (or somewhat comparible) alternative to maximizing horsepower, id be open to any suggestions.
purpose of intake= faster on road, faster off.

IM looking for something to boost power and speed basically.
You can easily jerry-rig something that will approximate the gains that an FIPK will give you, without the price tag. Just empty out your airbox and fab up a tube that will accept a hi-flo air filter. For more air flow, cut holes in the box, or leave the top off. (Keep in mind this is a permanent alteration.) You will find some gains in power. Try upgrading to larger/better headers as well and throw on a new Cat-back exhaust with a hi-flow muffler. That should give you some pretty good gains. Insofar as the TB spacer is concerned, in my humble experience, I truly think that one is nothing but bling. I noticed no difference after installation. There was a writeup in a 4x4 mag a couple of years ago where they did a whole bunch of bolt-on power mods and tested their gains on a dyno. I think that the TB spacer showed less than half of one percent horsepower gain. So on a HO 4.O that works out to about 1 horsepower extra. If it means you can't clear your air system, then in my opinion, toss the TB spacer.
Buck :canada:

PS: missed the part about the skids. I suggest getting them custom made locally in your area. I have had all of mine custom fabbed out of aluminum. The most expensive one was $125 CDN. Works for me.
B.

Last edited:
Back