• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibes and death wobble.....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
with Rusty's AAL budget boost. The front shakes violently when it hit a bump at speeds of 65MPH or over until it get below 50. So far a shaddy tree alignment has helped to reduce this until I can get a professional alignment.
The back, and I think it is the drive shaft that vibrates when coming up to speed. More noticable when going up hills at speeds between 30 and 45 MPH. At higher speeds it is hardly noticable. With a 2" well actually it measures 2.5" one should not have to rotate the CHRY 8.25 or drop the TC or should they? I to try some 30" tires in place of the 225.75.15 I am running now. I may loose some get-up-and-go .. a little bit would not hurt too much. A lot, well.... let think about this a minute.

techno1154 said:
with Rusty's AAL budget boost. The front shakes violently when it hit a bump at speeds of 65MPH or over until it get below 50. So far a shaddy tree alignment has helped to reduce this until I can get a professional alignment.
The back, and I think it is the drive shaft that vibrates when coming up to speed. More noticable when going up hills at speeds between 30 and 45 MPH. At higher speeds it is hardly noticable. With a 2" well actually it measures 2.5" one should not have to rotate the CHRY 8.25 or drop the TC or should they? I to try some 30" tires in place of the 225.75.15 I am running now. I may loose some get-up-and-go .. a little bit would not hurt too much. A lot, well.... let think about this a minute.

You have typical DW, get it aligned and the tires balanced and/or replaced. If it still persists, check linkages, b-joints, shocks, you know everything.

How does one rotate the 8.25?

TC drop should help with the vibes. You are probably getting a bit of springwrap as well. That would account for the hill climbs.

Yeah an aligment should fix the problem. Make sure that your trac bar is good and tight too.

You vibe problems do sound like axle wrap. When you hit the gas, the axle turns down a bit and creates worse driveline angles. Make sure your U-bolts are good and tight. You may want to add a small shim if it persists, like a 2 degree. This will rotate the axle upwards toward the T-Case and amy help vibs.

Unfortnatly, the 96+ models have the external slip yoke, which are prone to driveline vibs, plus an 8.25 rear is a low pinion creating even more of a problem. As Chuck said, a T-Case drop would be a good temp fix, or an SYE and CV shaft being the best fix.

MSHarnett said:
When you hit the gas, the axle turns down a bit ...
... This will rotate the axle upwards toward the T-Case and amy help vibs.
axle rotates up when you're on the gas and in a forward gear. The vibes during acceleration or while power is applied indicate a need to shim the pinion down to compensate, not up.

Thanks guys for your reply. I would hate to do the TC drop. That would cut down on the already low under body of the XJ. An axle rotation using shims seems to be the way to go. I also need to get some spring clamps to clamp the end of the spring packs together. Those I have are too small now that I have added another leaf. Most everything on the front is done except I need new shocks.

good front shocks will make a world of difference. i was fighting this problem for a long time. hit a bump with right front wheel and shakes til you get below 50. front tires will wear bad cupping fast on outsides. compare driver side and passenger side tires, if passengerside is wearing more than driver side try a set of GOOD shocks. the first set i had were shot in 40,000 miles.

MaXJohnson said:
axle rotates up when you're on the gas and in a forward gear. The vibes during acceleration or while power is applied indicate a need to shim the pinion down to compensate, not up.

Thanks for the correction, it was late at night, haha. Your right, the pinion rotates up on accel and down on decel.

Back