• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom lift?

this "custom" lift you speak of has been used plenty. try clicking on the little button that says search and look for f-150 and dakota stuff, you will get plenty. you actually use the whole pack and not just the main leaf. search search search, and then try searching some more

No. It will not bolt in. You remove all the leaves EXCEPT the main leaf from the XJ, and you replace them with all the leaves EXCEPT the main leaf from the Dakota. Be sure it's an older Dakota, one with the springs running under the axles. Don't remember when they switched, but the new ones are spring over axle and don't have as much arch.

By the way -- we're not big on TXT MSG shorthand around here. In fact, some of us get downright crusty when we encounter it. I think you'll find you get better responses if you type in English.

sorry didnt know man , i'll remember that next time. oh yea by the way, can i use the stock centering bolt or do i need to get a new one?

new center pin.... this is a good lift.... don't use ford coils though.... way too stiff..... v8 zj springs with a 2 inch spacer is a great way to go.... That is what I run. rides great, corners pretty nice, and it even flexes well off road..... I think the improved ride is due to the zj coils being a dual rate spring.

QUOTE FROM OTHER BOARD:

[font=Verdana, Arial]alright well before i start shoppin around for stuff, from what i gather this is what i need. plz let me know if i forgot anything important
tongue.gif
thanks again chris s and anyone else who had an imput on this u guys have been an awesome help.

custom 4 inch cherokee lift-

F-150 front coils.
Dodge dakota rear leaf packs
Jeep tj rear brake line
Jeep tj sway bar links
Lower control arms for 4" lift
New leaf spring clamps
New leaf spring centering bolts
New u-bolts
New slip yolks to fit 4 " lift front, rear driveshafts(would another vehicle have slip yolks that would be compatible with the xj, that would work for the lift)
[/font]

at 4" you need a new trackbar/mount, swaybar (something to fix it, might as well get/make some disconects)
you might consider a t-case drop, or an SYE if you discover the driveline vibes are unbareable... Budget for this
Axle shims if your rear pinion is pointed up after the lift
LCA's can be found: www.rubiconexpress.com

as for your question of "is this lift worth it" well i dont think so, if somethign goes wrong, what are you going to do? chase after someone who told you it would work on the internet? if you order from a company of engineers who spent hours and hours [some more than others] in Research and devolopment then you have someone to call for help when u install it, broken parts (yes they do break), and someone to curse when it all doesnt fit the way you wanted it to.

all in all i would rather do a 2" BB than do the Dakota f-150 lift...

try taking a look in the "for sale" section of this forum and see what you can get a deal on, people are always rolling their XJ's and parting them...

Search button is your friend...

it will ride rough as can be I would just get some used 3" or 4.5" springs

it will ride like ass on ford springs.... consider yourself warned. :)

seriously. you should consider the zj coil/spacer route.... the ride is killer.

if not. i think rustys has coils on sale for something like $80

just as an fyi my lift consists of the following.

zj v8 springs with 1 3/4 inch spacers to equal exactly 3 inches over stock in the front. I have 95 (newer body style) blazer spring pack with the eyes cut off and added to the stock jeep main leaf... just under 3 in the rear. I did the front end alignment myself.

All I really need is new shocks. I am considering using some stock chevy shackles to get it up about another inch in the rear, and open up some more flex.

the ride is really nice and it handles quite well.

price break down....
rear springs $50
front springs and spacers probably around $70... i did some trading to get mine....

btw... nappa has center pins.

hope this helps you a little....

Last edited:
Is 350$ for a 3" lift from X brand really too much?

My lift right now is rough contry 3" coils, 2" spacer + an inch or two from the ford spring buckets on my d44. It works really well, the rear is mj shackles, and an 8 leaf pack that consists of 6 waggy springs, an mj leaf, and my stock main leaf. This set up nets me probably 7" of lift and rides good. It's a little firm but softer than when I had mj packs under my main leaf. My total cost including sky jacker soft ride shocks is around $200. I can't give an accurate lift height because I have nothing left to measure it on. If you are willing to take your packs apart a few times to dial them in it is definately worth doing. As far as something going wrong, it doesn't sound like you are going to be in a situation to break springs, and a 3-4" of lift your stock control arms are fine as long as you add shims behind your lca's and you can redrill your trackbar.

mississippi_xj said:
thats all a matter of opinion and personal value.

in my suspension, safari basket and tj flares i have right at $120.00.

I refuse to pay full price for anything. :)

Jebus! I thought I got good deals!

I could see the dakota/f150 lift getting to 300$ real quick...but maybe thats just how sh!t ends up being for me... :laugh: I was only going to have 500$ into my gear/locker swap, but its turned into 800 really quick... :laugh:

Back