• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockright D30??

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up guys, Getting my 2000XJ with 5.5RE and 33 MTR's Geared and locked I am going with 4.56's the rear 8.35 with a detroit, now the front is my issue I was just going to go with a lockright cause thats what I can afford right now, I would go ARB if I can afford it but cant right now, So my question is for you guys that run the LOCKRight whats your opinion, and also what do you guys out there recommend for a front locker?? I wheel mainly rocks and some mud stuff, I am north jersey so wheeling in Paragon kind of stuff. Just want to see what all of you guys think is the best locker for the front D30 non selectable that is.. Thanks

I run a lockright in my non disco 30, and have no problems on the road. Off road it has held up way better than i had planed on, it's about the only thing i havn't broke. I know, 35s and a 30, not ideal

i love mine, one of my favorite things so far. i get excellent performance offoad and just a little ratcheting on sharp turns on road.

Any time you have a fully locked rig on ice it is F*****g scary. The lockright would be about the same as any full time locker. I have ended up backwards before I knew more times than can be counted on slick roads. just a thought.

ice? snow? what the hell is that. all i worry about here is really deep mud and rednecks that have been drinking to much

In my area ice is a big problem running front and rear lockers, as far as your concern,I am one of the rednecks who drinks too much so thats not much of a problem.

What do you mean by ABS shafts? Also for on road you should only feel it when your in 4wheel drive, somone said it ratchets a little on sharp turns. I'm in NJ so we get snow and Ice thats why I am debating, Do you guys think I should go open in the front till I get the cash to do a ARB? I am just used to being locked front and rear my old TJ had ARB's, but I cant go that route right now plus I would never do a arb in the rear again I think its a waste of money. The front is my problem right now..

I run a detroit in the back and lockright up front. It sucks bad in the snow and ice, but it works really well offroading. So long as you plan on driving SLOWER than most cars do in the snow you'll be ok.

Los11 said:
Whats up guys, Getting my 2000XJ with 5.5RE and 33 MTR's Geared and locked I am going with 4.56's the rear 8.35 with a detroit, now the front is my issue I was just going to go with a lockright cause thats what I can afford right now, I would go ARB if I can afford it but cant right now, So my question is for you guys that run the LOCKRight whats your opinion, and also what do you guys out there recommend for a front locker?? I wheel mainly rocks and some mud stuff, I am north jersey so wheeling in Paragon kind of stuff. Just want to see what all of you guys think is the best locker for the front D30 non selectable that is.. Thanks
Are you going to be regearing at the same time? if so get the detroit for the front as you're going to have to change the case for the higher gears anyways and that's already $50 or so towards a full case locker :D

Remi,

I think you have missed the point that XJFrank and JunkXJ are trying to make !!!!..... LOS11 lives in New Jersey (where they get more than their share of SNOW) so he needs to consider where he will do most of his driving.
Having lived in New York and driven a LOCKED vehicle in the snow... sliding sideways down the highway with oncoming traffic
due to being locked is not my idea of fun.
SAVE your money and get a selectable locker for the front....

Charles

Last edited:
Los11 said:
What do you mean by ABS shafts? .

Most rigs with ABS had the large 297 u-joint, thereby making them a little stronger.

I've got a Lock-Right in my front axle and since we only have intermittent snow here on the West Coast, it's not a huge deal for us. If yanking it out come winter is an option, I'd go that way....otherwise save your money for a selectable.

I live in West Michigan, and love the snow and ice winters we get here, or used to get. But back to the point, a non-selectable locker in the front is scary bordering on insane when you want to run in 4wd. They take all predictablity out of the front of the vehicle on the road at speed.
Save your money and wait to by the ARB or another selectable type locker.

I run Detroit rear, Lockright front, 4.88's, manual tranny and (last winter) was running left over 235/75R15 snow tires (with studs) - in other words, due to the gearing and manual tranny it is quite easy to spin the tires and lock up the diffs. Last winter we had our first snow (almost 2 feet) during the week before Christmas (2003), and by the middle of March (2004) we had only had a few days over freezing . . . and there was still snow stacked up in the center of some side streets. I ran around all the time (when snow/ice was on the streets) in 4wd part-time and had absolutely no problems. This included several trips on the highway, fully locked on ice and snow. Still no problems.

I had to be careful not to floor it in the middle of corners. But, otherwise, I loved the traction and never slid sideways (unless I tried to do it, for fun). It just took a little skill to drive within the capabilities of my vehicle.

Still, I would not have even considered loaning my vehicle to anyone. The potential for serious problems for an unskilled or unknowledgeable driver was too great. For that matter, with a 5-speed and a Detroit locker in the rear, I won't loan my XJ for someone to drive on pavement in 2wd . . . due to the steering characteristics under acceleration.

I have had much exsperiance with this before. A rig locked front and rear on Ice is more than scary. When slick I only run 2wd for safety reasons. A rear locked rig will go almost anywhere you want to in snow. I drove a fully locked rig for 2 winters. Most people say you get use to it, Well those people have never driven of solid ice.

I wish I'd spent my D30 Lockrite money on a selectable locker, but you know, I do get a pretty big grin crawlin up and over things without slipping a wheel, now if I could just steer the rest of the time. . . .

No-Slip in the rear, Lock-Rite in the front for two years (2 winters); snow ,ice, rain, etc. in my daily driver- NOT A SINGLE problem. True you do have to use some sense and pay attention, but you have to do that in bad weather anyway!

i have a dana 30 with a disco, and bought a no slip locker.. anyone run that combo? was wondering about the c clip can i put that locker in my disco with no c clip? any help would be appriciated..

Back