• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing axles in 8.25 w/ARB locker-How?

bknudtsen

NAXJA Forum User
How do I remove the axles in my 8.25? I have an ARB in it. Does that make a difference? I can see the c-clips, but can't figure out how to get them out. I figured that I would need to remove the cross shaft with a punch so that I can slide the axles in to get to the c-clips, but I don't want to screw the locker up. What am I missing?

Brad

bknudtsen said:
How do I remove the axles in my 8.25? I have an ARB in it. Does that make a difference? I can see the c-clips, but can't figure out how to get them out. I figured that I would need to remove the cross shaft with a punch so that I can slide the axles in to get to the c-clips, but I don't want to screw the locker up. What am I missing?

Brad
Hmmmm that doesn't sound right as with certain gear rations you need to remove the carrier (or at least notch a tooth on the ring gear) to get the shaft out. In any case, if the ARB is anything like my noslip was if you turn a wheel and look at the locker you'll see a slot through which a c-clip should come out.

The ARB has a window in which I can see the cross shaft and c-clips. It appears to me that in order the remove the c-clips, the cross shaft has to come out. Obviously I can't remove the carrier until the axles are out. I'll go look at it again.

Thanks.

Brad

That's why we usually grind a tooth off the ring gear and/or use a modified cross shaft from someplace like Randy's. Cross shaft needs to come out to shove the shafts in...to drop the c-clips.

Well, I figured it out. On the ARB housing there is a allen head set screw that holds the cross shaft it. This has to be completely removed from the housing. Then the cross shaft comes right out and the c-clips come out too.

Thanks for the replies. Now back to the rear disc brake conversion.

Brad

bknudtsen said:
Well, I figured it out. On the ARB housing there is a allen head set screw that holds the cross shaft it.
Brad

Yeah, sorry man. That is the first part. The regular 8.25" carriers have those, too.

Glad you got it...good luck with the disk brakes! :)

Back