• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ Driveline strength

muddy92xj

NAXJA Forum User
From what little I know the 4.0 will go forever as long as you take care of it. What about the rest of it thow?
I would like to get a rusty long arm 6.5in lift a 33- 35in tiers, it this possible for a a stock xj? I know I will need to re gear. My main concern is are the rears up to it as I become a better wheeler? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks mike

muddy92xj said:
From what little I know the 4.0 will go forever as long as you take care of it. What about the rest of it thow?
I would like to get a rusty long arm 6.5in lift a 33- 35in tiers, it this possible for a a stock xj? I know I will need to re gear. My main concern is are the rears up to it as I become a better wheeler? Any input would be appreciated.

thanks mike

depends on what you have to work with in the rear. If you have a dana 35 I would consider finding a better rear end to work with since this is the weakest of the options you have.

The Ford 8.8 is even stronger than the D44 and a virtual bolt-in mod. If you get the later Explorer axle, you also get the bonus of disc brakes and 3.73 gears.

I believe the 94+ 8.8's come with the disks. As said before just about any Exploder will work for you. Also just for the record they are all SUA correct? Its not a big deal but I can't remember.

SUA - Spring Under Axle. MJs and CJs are this way stock
SOA - Spring Over Axle. XJ rear springs are this way stock.

I think the 92 has plenty strong driveline, once the rear axle is replaced. I won't get into the 8.8 vs 44 vs 8.25/29spl thing.

Features I like are the 23 spline transmission/transfer case and high pinion/non disco D30. I'd rehab the Tcase, add a HD sye/pair of Woods driveshafts, and swap in 760x size front ax shafts when it goes back together after regearing.

I'd also do the 1-2 shift/convertor lock mod, and add a cooler & remote filter if its an AW4.

Dr. Dyno said:
The Ford 8.8 is even stronger than the D44...

As woody said i DO NOT want to debate which is stronger (8.8 vs 44). But I would like to state that you shouldn't blindly accept one opinion on this matter. You should search and find as much info as you can and then make up your mind as to which rear axle is best for you.

I will simply add that the Ford 8.8 and the Dana 44 are of similar strength and they both have pro's and con's. Either way you go its hard to lose, they are both great swap candidates. As for those pro's and con's, search, its been covered a lot.

-jm

Back