• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My sister backed into my Jeep last week.

Z22_Z33

NAXJA Forum User
Dont know what she was doing, her car got messed up. But the XJ seems to be doing just fine.
The only thing I'm worried about is my Jeep got pinned between her car and the post in my garage.
Is there anything I need to look at to make sure the body and frame are in good shape and not twisted.
The car was actually my moms, it was a 98 Toyota Camry so I imagine it has a few extra pounds on the XJ. My jeep was about oh 4-6 inches from the post, the body was forced forward and a small dimple was put in the bumper. The tires remained in the same spot, when I moved the Camry the body seems to have returned to it natural postion.

the trunk on the camry was pushed back about 3-4 inches, and a hole was poked into the plastic bumper.There was no visable damage other then the front bumper on the XJ but I havent looked at anything else other then the front and rear.
My XJ is a 95 Sport 4.0L and auto trans, and of course 4 wheel drive.
Something thats a little comical, is there is an imprint from my licence plate holder in the post.

I wouldnt be worried, it sounds like the camry did its job and absorbed all the damage. Make sure that post is still straight though, wouldnt want the garage to fall down, then were would you work on the XJ?

Well it’s at my mom’s house, so I don’t care. As far as I can see the post is just fine, except what the license plate holder left. There's a good reminder for my sister. But then again what good would that do, my other sister ran into the corner of the garage (yes the same garage) with my moms Buick after having her license for 3 days. Well I'm still trying to figure out how she pulled the one off, but since then she's had 3 more accidents and totaled a car on here last. And this is my other sisters second crash since she got her licensee at the end of last month, her first one was a week after she got here license. Guess what, that one was a parked car as well, she apparently misjudged the distance, but oddly enough there is a scratch going all the way to the rear passengers side, so I guess she kept going for a while (well there is a scratch on the side door the turn signal and quarter panel and toast, and the mirror is no more). Don’t worry about me though I’ve been driving for 3 years now, and haven’t had any accidents (knock on wood)so you’re all safe. Don’t let your kids go to check n ride that is were my sisters went. Don’t know why Washington State doesn’t subsidize driver’s ed. anymore, well I guess they’re paying for it now.

Now that I have bored you all with the stories of my sisters, are you sure I don’t need to worry about anything? If I were to put it up on a lift would there be any parts of the underbody that are more prone to twisting and breaking that I may want to check out. Hey you think I could get my sister to replace my front bumper seeing how she put a dent in it. Maybe one of those ARB winch bumper, or the new warn off-road bumper, you think I could get a winch from out of it as well.

Got an automatic transmission? If so do you set your parking brake (or is it not so good)? If the answer is yes then I'd say the Jeep rolled forward into that post, the park pin has some play in it, allowing the Jeep to roll forward and/or back a few inches when parked. That's the same reason that if you're parking on steep hill with no brake and you take it out of gear it'll go CLUNK!!

No my brake works just fine, execpt I bought one of those aftermarket cup holders that fits over the parking brake, so becasuse of that it doesnt really work anymore, I have to remove the cupholder to put on the brake. But since i was parked on a level surface I didnt worry about it.
What you described is that something I need to worry about?

Z22_Z33 said:
Well I'm still trying to figure out how she pulled the one off, but since then she's had 3 more accidents and totaled a car on here last. And this is my other sisters second crash since she got her licensee at the end of last month, her first one was a week after she got her license.

Word to the wise. DON'T RIDE WITH HIS SISTERS. :laugh:

Wouldn´t worry about structural damage too much, maybe bent the bumper bracket. My wife has parked her XJ inside a VW Golf, bounced off of a couple of guard rails, backed over numerous posts and has maybe one un-dinged bumper cap. Non of which seemed to really bother much structurally, just bent some sheet metal.
Might want to have a look at your vacumn canister behind (inside) the front bumper, doesn´t take much to break the plastic mounting tabs and have the thing bouncing around inside the bumper.
XJ will take a pretty good lick, without doing much damage, most times. Just don´t park it on the roof, which is usually fatal for an XJ (cost more to fix, than the Jeep is worth).
Maybe we could start a public service forum, to alert other drivers, when your sisters and my wife are on the road.

red91inWA said:
Word to the wise. DON'T RIDE WITH HIS SISTERS. :laugh:

YOu need to take them off the road and put them to work cutting lawns with lawn tractors till they figure out which way the wheels make them go....

You want them to do what!! Mow lawns with lawn tractors? I some how think thats worse, then them driving cars. I dont like the idea that they could cut me up into little pieces cause they think they know what they are doing, and in reality they dont, I also wouldnt want to chase after them if somehow they lost control and didnt know how to stop.
I dont know much about cars, other then how to drive them, so the vac canisters in the bumper, whats it's function?

Mine is inside the right front bumper. It helps smooth out the ups and downs in the vacumn system. Mostly affects the heater and cruise controls, but will mess with your idle, just like any other vacumn leak, if the vacumn lines come unhooked or are cut.

Back