• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper problems

jeepfreak32

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87' 4.0 XJ with 204,000 miles. I have developed an odd situation with my windshield wipers. With the engine running, the wipers only move at one speed through out the selection of the switch. When engine rpm decreases the wipers slow down. I have to trick them to the parked position. If I shut the wipers off they do not return to the parked position, they freeze in the position that they are at when I shut them off. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

My would suspect the wiper motor going bad. You can take it out, remove the cover plate to inspect the contact wipers. I have 92 that had a similair problem.

The other problem source might be your relay. You can find it under the knee panel to the left of the steering wheel. It is a big black box that is velcroed to the pane. There are connectors one each end. Disconect each and plug together by-passing the relay entirely. You should then have two speeds and off. If so, you have found the problem. I doubt that is where it is though.

Should you decide to get a wiper from the yard, you will find that the connector changed in 91. The dealer has a adapter cable. My dealer wanted $80!!!!!! That is when I found another source. With the extra wiper motor, I decided to take the bad one apart and ended up fixing it.

Good luck.

Rain-X works great with a new windshield. If you have the original, the pits in the glass will cause you to be disappointed with the results.

Back