• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building a beefed up np231

CW

NAXJA Forum User
OK, my transfer case has 280,000+ miles on it and it has never been opened up, so I figure its time for some work. I am going to be installing a AA SYE in to it, so I figure I might as well build it to be able to handle my stroker and 36's. I did a lot of searching and all I really found out is that you can swap some parts from a np241 into the 231. I will be buying a 231 at the pull and save, all t-cases are $54. I am on a budget and would like to make it as strong as I can for under $300. I just need any info on beefing up the 231 you have especially if it involves parts from other applications I can scrounge up for dirt cheap.

If your gonna spend 300.00, get a dana 300. Do the 20.00 flip kit on pirate and have a better, stronger tcase with way more building options.

csudman said:
If your gonna spend 300.00, get a dana 300. Do the 20.00 flip kit on pirate and have a better, stronger tcase with way more building options.

$300 is my max limit, and since I am moving for school in 2 weeks I will be unemployed for a while. I was thinking $54 for the np231, $120-$150 for a HD SYE off of ebay or a bb, and under $100 for donor parts.

I'm pretty sure that the bigger chain comes from an NP231D as opposed to your NP231J. It's a wider chain, and requires 2 new sprockets as well.

If you have a $300 limit, you won't be thinking about this route, a new chain and sprocket set is a couple of hundred on it's own.

OK, lets forget my price limit, it is getting in the way. What applications was the 231d used in? If I can find a low mileage case I could get the chain and sprockets for next to nothing. Actually would it be possible to just use a np231d on my xj?

Last edited:
BrettM said:
this could be total BS, I'm not sure if I remember this right, but I think there's a Dodge NP case that has a bigger/stronger chain that works. try searching here and Google
That's the NP231D mentioned just above this post.

Back