• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still can't get it to crank, please help!!!

jpxj94

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have had a this problem for quite a while now. it won't crank when i turn the key. in the past i would wiggle the shifter and some times i could get it to start. I got tired of that so i wired a button directly to the starter so all i would have to to is turn the key on and push the button to start it. that decided on day to short out and I had a little electrical fire. I have cleaned and tested the nss with a continuity tester and it seams to be working now replaced starter switch under dash and replaced starter relay and still nothing, so whats next? I really need help on this one. I don't really want to do the whole starter button thing again. oh, it is a 94' 4.0 aw4 and new starter in january. I still had this problem before I put the new starter in.

it could be but I still had the problem before the fire and I have gone through the harness and everything looks ok. I only had one wire that melted to another wire and every thing else looks new. I got lucky there was a fire truck parked at the end of the row I was parked in and they got it out pretty quickly. I was inside eating lunch at El Chico when it happened.

So your Jeep ordered the "el scorcho" hot sauce, eh?
Sorry, couldn't resist....

It could be that the nss is adjusted wrong. Or, have someone keep the ign sw to start and probe the wires on the way to the relay and to the starter. See where you lose power. Probably a corrosion somewhere. There isn't much wiring to test, so it won't take long.

jpxj94 said:
it could be but I still had the problem before the fire and I have gone through the harness and everything looks ok. I only had one wire that melted to another wire and every thing else looks new. I got lucky there was a fire truck parked at the end of the row I was parked in and they got it out pretty quickly. I was inside eating lunch at El Chico when it happened.

DID YOU REPLACE THE STARTER RELAY IN THE POWER CONTROL BOX UNDER HOOD. HAVE YOU TRYED JUMP STARTING IT. COULD HAVE CORROSION INSIDE CABLES CAUSING VOLTAGE LOSS BADGE714
DALE [email protected]

I did replace the starter relay in the control box and still nothing. also I have had a jumper box on the battery but still i get nothing.

you may have continuity in the harness, but check to see if the nss has a ground. usually they lose the ground circuit internally. if you ground the starter relay it should start, but it will start in any gear. the nss control the ground for the relay.

i will try to check that out tomorrow and see what i can find. I did wire my start button thing up again but I did it completly different this time. I came out of the fuse box, put an inline fuse between the button and the fuse box, wired after the button to the starter with plastic cover over the from the firewall all the way to the starter. Better safe than sorry. I learned that lesson the hard way. I still wan't to get this ting working right but I got to get to work too.

if the starter sounds good when it does start than the starter is okay. if it is an automatic, check for power at the park neutral switch when in nutural with the key on.

Since wiggling the shifter got it to crank sometimes I would suspect the neutral safety switch on the tranny. Big $$ for the switch but do a search for the links to the write up on rebuilding that switch. Greg

Back