• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problems on a 96 4.0 (plus a couple other minor ones)

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
When I shift into 1-2 while slowing down, what used to happen was the trans would kick down into first at around 25 mph. It happened like clockwork, I could watch the speedo needle going down and right at 25 it'd downshift and anyone not expecting it would lurch forward due to the sudden compression braking. Now when I do this, all that happens is the rpms get even lower. Is it the kickdown cable? It only happens when slowing down. When I step on the gas its a couple seconds slower to kickdown but it still kicks down. I had the fluid reverse flushed and replaced about 2-3 months ago.

Also, the electric fan no longer works along with the A/C. Since they both went out together I assumed it must be the belt since I had 109,000 miles and most likely the original belt. So I replaced the belt but it still ran hot and the A/C still doesn't work. However the battery is getting a better charge so the belt did help the alternator at least. I replaced the 2 little relays that run the A/C compressor and Aux fan. No change. I'm about to replace the fan motor/fan and start looking into recharging the A/C but before I invest more money, I am wondering if there's some small thing I overlooked that could cause them both to die. My Haynes manual says nothing and I can't afford a FSM yet. I just had the bearings replaced at a possibly shady mechanic for $400 (!!!) and am paranoid that maybe they screwed with something. It wouldn't be the first time a mechanic was inept or underhanded. To save time I paid the shop onbase to change my oil and they snapped the oil pressure sending unit off...I didn't know til 2 weeks later oil starts sraying out the back of my engine. I appreciate any help I can get from anyone.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible to help you help me. ;)

Blacksport, chances are the A/C not working is because of low refrigerant. When it gets low, a pressure switch keeps the compressor from coming on. This in turn would keep the aux fan off too.

I can't answer why your trans does that, because mine does the same thing. Sometimes it'll downshift in coast, and sometimes it won't. It has done this for several years, so I don't worry about it.....?

Too bad about the oil pressure sender. I've found that no one cares as much about your vehicle as you do, and when techs are working fast they tend to make mistakes.......

interesting bout the A\C/Aux fan intermingling...I'll have to see bout getting it recharged and hopefully that'll do it! Thanks

just wondering exactly how the A/C being low would kill the AUX fan, was doing some thinking trying to figure it out myself, and I can't...

Turns out the problem was from an electrical short in the circuit that ran the A/C and fan. And apparently that short caused many weird side effects. My check engine light was on and giving me error codes relating to emissions control equipment. Now since getting that short fixed, the check engine light is gone as is the weird shifting problem in my transmission. Everything is back to normal, it would seem. I'm going to double check that with an OBD II scanner again this weekend to be sure but everything seems to be in order...

Back