• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 motor - 96 AW4

Audiophile

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 96 AW4 for $50, all that was apparently wrong with it was a broken tab. I have a 89 motor in my 88, and I noticed that the 89 dust cover doesn't seem to fit correctly.

Is it possible just to trade out the bell housing for the AW4, and make it work, or should I just abandon this tranny and get an AW4 for a pre-91' model?

This isn't answering your question, but I believe the electrical plug in will need some modification, something like 3 vs. 4 prongs.

Also the newer tranny will be a 23 spline output vs. the 21 in the '88-'89. So that would be a nice upgrade, you'll just have to deal with the t-case input. (But you prbably wouldn't need it unless there's a stroker in your future. :) )

But you were prbably already aware of this. :)

Last edited:
XJZ said:
This isn't answering your question, but I believe the electrical plug in will need some modification, something like 3 vs. 4 prongs.

Also the newer tranny will be a 23 spline output vs. the 21 in the '88-'89. So that would be a nice upgrade, you'll just have to deal with the t-case input.

But you were prbably already aware of this. :)

I'm using a AW4 shifter from Awshifting so none of the electrical will matter.

I've already addressed the x-fer spline difference.

[edit - How rude, I could have at least said thanks :D]

Back