• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing lift peice by peice??

braeden

NAXJA Forum User
I need to keep my XJ driveable as it is my only way to get to work. TO cut down on the time in which it is unusable I was wondering if I could get some parts on and out of the way early so when I go to put on the new leaves, shocks, control arms, etc.. I won't be up all night freaking out because I have no way to get to work. I already have my SS extended brake lines installed. I was wondering if it makes sense to put on the rear shackles and t-case drop. Are there any other parts I can put on that won't affect my ability to drive it around before I have a 12-14 hour block to get the rest done?

If you're really tight on time you can go without your ride you can install the rear lift components (leaves, shackles, t-case drop) and ride on just that for a while. You will look goofy as anything and it won't be super comfortable but a buddy of mine rode on 6 inch springs in the back for 2 weeks before he got to the front.

Don't do the shackles without the leafs. You have to disconnect the leafs to do the shackles...and then it is just two more bolts and you put the new leafs back on. You could conceivably do the control arms, although they'd be the wrong length and that might cause complication.

Here is what you need to do:

1) Start on Friday afternoon so you have all weekend;

2) Get a friend to help you. Even if neither of you know a thing about suspensions, this is nothing more than nuts, bolts, and leverage. A second set of hands is invaluable;

3) Make sure you have the right tools:

This includes all of the necessary sockets and wrenches and a breaker bar (just a 2' piece of plumbing tube from Home Depot that will fit over your socket handle is plenty);

A pickle fork for the trackbar tierod end (assuming you are replacing the trackbar);

A rubber mallet for whacking bolts back into mounts when they are close but not quite sliding in (this is invaluable...an absolute must-have);

A hand winch (come-along) is absolutely invaluable for lining up the axles when you are doing control arms and the leaf springs. You can literally spend hours trying to get bolts that have a preload out of their mounts (and longer trying to get them back in), and this can be done in minutes with almost no exertion with a hand winch.

Get a floor jack and four good jackstands...don't try to do this with the little bottle jack that came with your Jeep...it is dangerous and will take forever.

Be willing to apply leverage to do the coil springs. A 4' long breaker bar (or a long crowbar) does wonders for popping coils over stubborn axle mounts (both for removal and installation). You aren't going to break anything...but if you try to be delicate with it the coils can become a real nightmare.

If you have the right tools, this is an easy one day job with a friend (and if you have the hand winch it is an easy one day for just you). If you try it by yourself without the right tools...then you might want to reserve a rental car (Enterprise will pick you up :D ) in advance.

Nay

Don't forget to buy like 4 cans of PB Blaster and spray down EVERY bolt you have to remove preferably twice a day for atleast a week. This will help insure that you do not break stuff off, and end up stranded.

GAdawg said:
If you're really tight on time you can go without your ride you can install the rear lift components (leaves, shackles, t-case drop) and ride on just that for a while. You will look goofy as anything and it won't be super comfortable but a buddy of mine rode on 6 inch springs in the back for 2 weeks before he got to the front.

Only the neighbors and the wife think it looks goofy. :wierd: :eek:
I've been driving for a week like this.
You didn't mention the year of XJ and lift(lift I assume 4.5", shackles & leafs)

hick3.5-1.jpg

I went to the hardware store today and picked up anti-sieze and grease, they didn't have 21mm socketrs or wrenches so I have to drive to get them. The problem withthe starting on friday night is that I work untill 10pm on my "friday night" and start at 7 am on my "monday morning"(I actually have tues-wed as my weekend, which makes it an even bigger pain the ass to find people who can help. I guess I will need to rent a pickle fork and torque wrench as well. Thanks for the help, keep the tips coming.

braeden said:
I went to the hardware store today and picked up anti-sieze and grease, they didn't have 21mm socketrs or wrenches so I have to drive to get them. The problem withthe starting on friday night is that I work untill 10pm on my "friday night" and start at 7 am on my "monday morning"(I actually have tues-wed as my weekend, which makes it an even bigger pain the ass to find people who can help. I guess I will need to rent a pickle fork and torque wrench as well. Thanks for the help, keep the tips coming.

Oh, you're the guy in Snowmass. I told you that I'd come and install the entire thing for you if you get me a high paying job that allows for me to live in the area. You can just drive my XJ, and I'll do yours for free :D.

Seriously, find a 4x4 shop for the hand winch or have one shipped in. For the front axle, you attach one end (hook) to the LCA or UCA mount, and the other to either the crossmember if you need to pull the axle to the rear to line up the control arm bolts or to the tow hooks or some other rigid mounting point to pull to the front. Trust me that this will save you a full day, at least. If you don't have some way to apply serious force to the front axle, it can be nearly impossible to do by yourself.

I'd do the rear end first to give you a feel for what you are dealing with.

Nay

Do the rear end first if you can't do the whole thing at once - apparently around these parts that's known as a "Yucca-Man lift" :D

Back