• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Cage builders...

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
Looking for a little guidance. We are working on the back half of my cage and wanting some suggestions to make sure we have enough strength...I know several of you have had these uniframes all torn apart and just looking for areas that we need to make sure are STRONG!

1089273348_rearbob17.jpg

1089284069_rearbob18.jpg

There is going to be a bottom bar that ties from the back of the cage to the bottom of the B pillar, it will run along the 'uniframe' rails and be tied into the uniframe, the back of the uniframe is going to be plated like the rest of my frame on the inside, outside and bottom.

Just looking for any comments or suggestions, oh the back of the jeep is going to be cut the rest of the way off right behind the rear doors.

mac 'sawzall luv' gyvr

sweet! you are going to end up like Beezil. looks cool

87XJ4D4.0 said:

Gay with a momma that can weld? oh you mean the jeep lol ;)

87XJ4D4.0 said:

well no matter how it turns out it will never be as nice and work as well as beezils...that man can fab...all i can do is copy what i like and hillbilly the rest...

i still need some input from some folks that have built cages as extreme in the rear end as this one in the spirit of the structure of the pop can...

mac 'mom can weld better than me' gyvr

Sorry I can't help you out on your project 'Gyver, but I like the look you have going there. Better stow your rubber mallet ... the first bump you come to and that thing is gonna fall out!

Les

macgyvr said:
Looking for a little guidance.

There is going to be a bottom bar that ties from the back of the cage to the bottom of the B pillar, it will run along the 'uniframe' rails and be tied into the uniframe, the back of the uniframe is going to be plated like the rest of my frame on the inside, outside and bottom.

Do you have any pics of that?
How does the B-hoop tie into your frame?

There is no C-hoop on your cage, the space from behind your b-hoop to the rear bumper is very open, do you plan to have back seats?
This large open section has no side to side support. Your probibly not nearly done yet, but if you hit the rear top most part of your body that part of the cage is very not well supported.
not much triangualtion.

The rear bumper section I would have angled that up for better clearance. Im planning on cutting my rear frame off and angle it up a good 10in...no more spare tire mount on top of the gas tank like before...but 42s are too large to cary anyways.

My rear is made to have back seats...
download.php

I plan to cut the frame where the shock is hanging and run some tube from there up to the hight of about the middle of the tail lights.... I hit that bumper too often to want to keep it at the factory bumper height.
download.php

Have fun.

the bpillar is connect with plates to the floor and then connected to the plated frame.

there is going to be a bottom bar from the back of the cage to the bottom of the bpillar attaching around the same area where the seat mounts are...

and that bottom bar will be attached to a couple of places to plated 'frame'

and there will be a 'c' pillar going from the upper bar to that lower bar near the back of the rear door openings.

there is going to be some kind of triangulation probably in the bpillar behind the seats

and the rear is only for storage, no passengers...at least that i'm planning at this point...

mac 'caged out' gyvr

Cage Update...

Cage is pretty much done except for a couple of bars for the fuel cell...that is once its off back order...

1092115057_rearbob20.jpg

1092114754_rearbob25.jpg

The lower bar that ties the b pillar to the back of the cage...

1092114871_rearbob29.jpg

1092114921_rearbob31.jpg

1092114955_rearbob32.jpg

mac 'where's the cooler go?' gyvr

the 'uniframe' is boxed from the back to the front near the original lower control arm mounts....

the a and b pillar are tied into the 'frame' with plates on each side and a mount to the 'frame'

as you can see in the one picture the bar that runs from the back of the cage to the bpillar is supported on the bottom by support tubes that are mounted on plate on the floor that is welded to the top of the uniframe

and the diamond plate in the back is mounted to keep the back end of the jeep all tied together...

mac 'damn i hope its strong' gyvr

The only thing I would add is to fully weld the sheetmetal roof to the back edge of the cage - it puts a lot of torsional stiffness into the roof - other wise it looks right on...

Like this:

rear_view1.jpg

roof_splices2.jpg

HTH

Matt

Last edited:
Matt said:
The only thing I would add is to fully weld the sheetmetal roof to the back edge of the cage - it puts a lot of torsional stiffness into the roof - other wise it looks right on...

Like this:

roof_splices2.jpg

HTH

Matt

Yep yep yep, forgot to mention that the roof is going to be attached in one way or another to the cage at the cpillar....thanks for the pics cause having an interesting time trying to figure out a good way to attach the roof to the cage...

of all the exo cages ive seen, they have all been ugly, though matts looks nice... awesome looking fun stuff

BrettM said:
MAtt, are you finished with that AWESOME Willys yet?

Its coming along - steering plumbing/pump hydraulics and rebuild/wire/plumb the motor are about all thats left...

I won't hijack this thread - especially since the only thing XJ is the motor/trans/and half the t-case...

There are a ton of pics here - not all the way up to date but close:

http://home.off-road.com/~wanderingwillys/xjpics/Buggy_Stuff/

XJ_ranger - thanks, I think.... (kinda like saying the the nicest of all the arses) :rof:

macgyvr - the two spots I had problems with were the edges of the roof where it meets the c-pillar and the transition from a round wheelwell to a flat plate of lexan....

I looks like you got the wheelwells buttoned up OK - so I would either run another small tube or see if you can fold/clamp the roof down where it is still taut and take it all over before welding the entire seam...

Perhaps even a section of angle iron with the middle notched to follow the existing cage and give you something decent to run a bead on...

HTH

Matt

Matt said:
macgyvr - the two spots I had problems with were the edges of the roof where it meets the c-pillar and the transition from a round wheelwell to a flat plate of lexan....

I looks like you got the wheelwells buttoned up OK - so I would either run another small tube or see if you can fold/clamp the roof down where it is still taut and take it all over before welding the entire seam...

Perhaps even a section of angle iron with the middle notched to follow the existing cage and give you something decent to run a bead on...

HTH

Matt

yeah been looking at that trying to figure out how to make it work good to tie the roof together and still look decent too...i'm not sure if angle iron will be used or what, getting ready to finish weld the cage and figure out how we are going to clean it up...

mac 'just hope its strong' gyvr

how much metal have you used?...cost?

Holy 4 year old thread! :scared:
Honestly, I'm in the middle of this right now (building a cage and a back portion of what used to be an XJ that is). Not to come across harsh or anything here but if cost is really that much of a factor you had better get everything planned out really well before you make that first cut.
I can tell you from first hand experience it ain't cheap and if you make a budget, double it (no joke) you will end up spending it somehow. That unfortunatly is part of the reason mine is taking so darn long, I simply can't afford it.

No doubt old thread - mine is still alive and well - no changes to the back end other than some moss and tree rash...

When I cut mine I had a plan that looked nothing like it is - I just kept cutting more and more till it looked right...

Just wing it with a little cosmetic flair and you'll be fine :rof:

As for qty of tube the entire EXO had around 190 ft less now that I clopped the back off...

Moved onto to playing with big jeeps - I have a 1966 M35a2c and a 1967 M543a2 - 2.5 ton 6x6 cargo truck and 5 ton wrecker running 48's on the duece and 53's on the 5 ton... Fun times

Back