• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle swap question

gooch27

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking @ swapping out my '96 XJ front axle. Does anyone know if a TJ front axle is a direct fit? I would like to throw a D44 Rubicon up there but am not sure if it'll work without fabrication.

TJ axles are low-pinion (like the '00 and '01 XJ) so you'll lose that advantage. Everything I've heard otherwise is that it'll fit though

Why do you want to swap in TJ D30? A Rubicon "D44" will swap in directly also, but its not worth the money being a hybrid axle. Do a search there should be info on it.

it should bolt right up, the driveshaft would be my biggest concern, you might need it lengthed or shortened, but that's not that big a deal.

it's a good swap because you get the 4.10 gears and selectable locker, but only if you get a good deal on one. you could build an XJ D30 to be comparable for around a grand, so if you're getting it for less than that go for it.

Yucca-Man: do you know if the Rubicom edition is a "Low pinion" axle as well or just the D30. Forgive me, but what is the difference and advantage of a High Pinion to Low, I think I have an idea ,but am not sure if I am right.

FryPhax: what do you mean it's a Hybrid axle? IS it not a true D44?

The axles and u-joints are the same size as what you have now(96).The only advantage would be the locker and the larger ring gear.
Wayne

the Rubi D44 is a low-pinion axle. this gives less ground clearance for that area of the housing and for the driveshaft. when used in the front, low-pinion gears are also a bit weaker than high pinion gears, but i wouldn't worry too much about that.

the Rubi D44 axle is a sort of hybrid because it uses a D44 center section, but all the outers, knuckles, brakes, hubs, etc. are identical to the D30s, so you don't gain any strength or reliability where it is needed most.

Are ther any other "bolt on" options, other than a Rubicon D44 or Currie custom axle? Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyway. Also, does anyone know if an '02 TJ rear D44 is low or high pinion. I am also wondering the same about the D44 that came with the early XJ's. I already have a TJ rear 44, but I want to put the strongest axle I can on my XJ. I can get the spring mounts and shock mounts for an XJ from Rubicon Express, but if I find the original XJ 44 is better, I will go that route...

You're best bet other than the custom route or the rubicon route (assuming you're not building one yourself or building the d30) is to find a used one that someone already set-up for an XJ. Lots of people swap out their built 44 for a d60 so just keep looking for awhile. Remember to look for TJ guys going to d60s as well.

For the rear, your best bolt on option is the d44 from an Xj. Before you buy the rear axle you need to know what front axle you're going to end up with so you can match it's bolt pattern. If the front is 5x4.5 get either the d44 from an XJ or a ford8.8. If it's 5 lug you have a ton of options with a Ford 9" from an EB being one of the better choices. If it's 6 lug you can use a waggy rear axle or toy. Most of those rear axles will only need to have the spring perches moved.

Of course custom alloy axles can solve the lug pattern problem too.

Last edited:
there are not other "bolt on" options. The next closest to bolt on would be a late 70s F100/150 front HP D44, which would require building a custom crossmember for your XJ and a few other small things.

all stock rear axles are low pinion (of course as soon as I say that someone will find some Yugo or something that does)

For your XJ, I would sell the TJ D44 and buy an XJ D44. They are the same strength, but the TJ ones are worth a lot more because of the coil bracketry, which you don't need. Then with the left over money you could get some alloy shafts, or even a Super-44 kit for the D44 and it would be pretty much bullet-proof up to around 37" tires.

kinda along the lines of what Basalt mentioned, don't buy an axle until you know what you're going to run front and rear. I really wanted to run a Toyota rear axle, and that led me down the path of using a Waggy D44 up front to match lug-pattern and strength.

Back