• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhausting

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My Exhaust Manifold on my '94 XJ with the 4.0L is now toast, I understand that it is a weak point on this motor, the dealer wants just over $600 for the pice of junk, I am not to happy about this the XJ has about 192K's on it, has anyone here had any luck with a dealer replacing their's outside of the warrenty? or has the dealer met you half way? and I heard that the one the dealer sells, no longer has the same issues as the stock ones? if that is true, how long has Chrysler beem selling the improved ones?

Just need to know more about this thanks!

GQ

I agree, go with an aftermarket header. Usually considerably cheaper, though it may take some modifications to fit. Make sure you ask if it's a direct fit. You could get one from a junk yard for real cheap but you may be buying one that is already stressed and ready to crack. I almost bought one from a junkyard until I saw all the welds on it to seal up the cracks.

go with the aftermarket not only is it cheeper, it is more free flowing, will make your jeep run better [get a hi flow air fliter too], and will boost your gas milage a little. if you can keep your foot out of your better running 4.0. :lecture:

any good shop should be able to put it on for you if you dont want to do it your self. never done one personly think it would be a pain in the a$$.

Last edited:
Well since DC wants $859 for the manifold, not including the bolts or gasket (why would they at that price?) I decided to go with a borla header, its cheaper by $100 and is better than the one at the dealer by a thousand times.

I got home and called DC, they said that the manifolds on their Jeeps are perfect and have no defects in them and they will not admit fault, I tried telling the service person, that they are all defective no scrap yard in a 50 mile radius has any (good ones) and the one DC sells and has been selling since 98 has no inheriant problems of the old one, therefore DC should take reponsiblity for its actions and make good on defective parts, she was no help and that was that.

I still love my XJ and I will keep it, however I will not buy a new DC product, I cannot reward bad service and poor quality, oh well, looking forward to the Borla system!!!

GQ

I wish that lawsuit would go back one year to my 90 but something gives me a feeling that even though they were horribly built those people aren't going to get more than 10 cents each.

jeepguy1990 said:
I wish that lawsuit would go back one year to my 90 but something gives me a feeling that even though they were horribly built those people aren't going to get more than 10 cents each.
I ga-ron-damm-tee the lawyers will see more than that, but its probably accurate for the actual Jeep owners. I'm not going to waste my time on the class-action...

I am considering small claims court, maybe, If Chrysler Customer Service was interested in Customer Service, the manager would have investigated my concern in depth a little, and did some research, instead of just saying from a 30 second conversation that Chrysler's Exhaust Manifold was not defective and that all thier products and quailty exceed customer demands (HAHA)

If DC was at all competant, she would have spent a little time seeing if my concern was valid and did some homework before deciding, it was not the case and she said she is the only one that can make the decision and that she would not furnish me the name and contact information of the CEO of Chrysler Canada, she also stated that the matter is closed (anther HAHA)

Oh well I just landed a good job, will I buy another DC product?, yes I will but not a new one from a dealer, instead I will look at a new vehicle from a different manufacturer, I will definately buy another XJ, but tell other about Jeeps bad quailties and poor customer support at Chrysler<---and they wonder why their market share is sinking and relsale values are in the toilet.

Well its off to buy a Borla for my XJ!!! YAY

GQ

Back