• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New SYE, shorty from JB, any good?

simonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was interested in using the new shorty SYE from JB at $290 it sounds fantastic loosing 2 more inches than a regular SYE. What do you guys think? I would like your opinion before I go and do it. Thanks.

How much lift ya got? Seems to me the 4" you gain with the standard sye is more than enough to straighten most driveline angles. Unless you have a huge lift, and your driveshaft is on a huge angle.

Last edited:
Thats bad Logdog. My lift right now is 3" but later I will go to about 6". I just like the price it does not seem like alot for such a good design. Any more inputs (don't say it Logdog). I make my own driveshafts so the $290 would be the total expense.

One thing is you have do a speedo converter with that unit!

If I hadn't already done mine, I'd do the shorter one. The more length you gain on the shaft the better IMO.

I will run a new speedo (VDO electronic) by taking it apart and taking the original speedo box apart, I have done this twice and it works really well, much more accurate too, you just have to be carefull cutting the brittle plastic. It took 3 gauge pods to get it right.

We've been extremely happy with the SuperShort SYE kit on our TJ so far, but honestly with the LWB of the XJ I don't see much useful advantage over the regular HD SYE kit.

Jeepin Jason said:
We've been extremely happy with the SuperShort SYE kit on our TJ so far, but honestly with the LWB of the XJ I don't see much useful advantage over the regular HD SYE kit.

jason,

since you've done it...
i thougth the speedo that came with the kit plugged straight into the XJ's wiring and you only needed to buy anything extra if you wanted to be able to calibrate it yourself.

so does the kit include everythig you need, or do you have to buy more to have a speedo?

do you have a 4 link rear setup with 12 inches of droop in your shocks that you take desert racing?

that's probably what it would take to bind the system with a regular SYE and 6 inches. another thing to consider is that your pinon will be lower because of the lesser angle, which means your driveshaft will be more prone to rocks.

get the thing if you want it, but nobody is having any angle/length problems with normal SYEs on XJs at 6 inches.

simonsxj said:
Not that complicated but much more accurate. Also 2 more inches equals less angle on the driveshaft which equals more rear wheel travel allowed before binding.

I hear ya!!!!!!SYE's arent just about vibes!I love the other thread going right now!The HD kits are also about angles and strength!Every degree of u-joint angle means more wear and maybe binding.

"another thing to consider is that your pinon will be lower because of the lesser angle, which means your driveshaft will be more prone to rocks."

Strange I thought that with a double cardan you had to point the pinion at the transfer case.

simonsxj said:
"another thing to consider is that your pinon will be lower because of the lesser angle, which means your driveshaft will be more prone to rocks."

Strange I thought that with a double cardan you had to point the pinion at the transfer case.
exactly, and with a shorter shaft you point your pinion higher, which keeps the pinoin and driveshaft higher out of the rocks.

yes, it will only be slightly higher, and slightly more beneficial, but that's the point I'm trying to make. Having a 39" ds instead of a 37" ds is only a very slight improvement in angle. I understand it for the YJ/TJ guys, but XJs just don't need it.

edit: the 37 and 39 lengths are arbitrary examples, i have an MJ and don't know exactly how long XJ shafts are.

I'll say it again:

get the thing if you want it, but nobody is having any angle/length problems with normal SYEs on XJs at 6 inches.

Last edited:
It seems to me that you just want to pay about $100 more for the short shaft then for the regular. Im ordering my kit next week, the cheapest I've seen the SYE kit with Tom woods driveshaft if $474 shipped to my door. Has anyone seen it cheaper???

sarvermr said:
jason,

since you've done it...
i thougth the speedo that came with the kit plugged straight into the XJ's wiring and you only needed to buy anything extra if you wanted to be able to calibrate it yourself.

so does the kit include everythig you need, or do you have to buy more to have a speedo?

Yes, it plugs right into the stock wiring harness, but it'll read like if you had the stock speedo gear in there. To calibrate the speedo for your tires/gears, you've got to get a calibration gizmo and splice it into the harness. The write-up on Rockcrawler.com on the SuperShort kit goes over this part of the install. We haven't gotten around to doing it on our TJ yet though.

As I said before though, I really don't think a LWB vehicle would really benefit enough from this kit vs a regular SYE kit to justify the additional cost. Now, if someone just wants to do that SYE on their XJ, then go right ahead, I just don't think you'll see any difference performance-wise compared to the standard SYE setup.

You guys! That super shorty just SCREAMS Klune-V!!
That's what I'd use one for, if I didn't already have a JB SYE and no need for the ultra-low gearing.
:laugh3:

Back