• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal Fab Questions

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It's beginning to appear that I may be using the MJ for NACFest and possibly Moab rather than Old Faithful. I've been looking for a short safari-type rack that would be big enough to cover the MJ roof without extending to the front or the rear. Rear won't work because I have an over-height cap which, if I use it, would be an interference fit. I don't want the rack to extend out over the windscreen where I see it while driving.

Shortest standard safari racks I've found are about 48 inches long. I figure 30" is the absolute max and I'd prefer 24", with a width of 52" to match an XJ safari rack. Nobody makes it -- closest item I can find is a 1-1/4" hitch-hauler type rack in the Quadratec catalog that measures 21" x 48". That would work, but I'd prefer something the right size.

Does anyone have the capability to bend and weld up two rectangular hoops with rounded corners, 24" x 52" outside dimensions? I'd prefer to use 3/4" square tube but round would be okay. If I can find someone who can do the bends and make up the hoops, I can add the floor and make gutter brackets.

Or should I just pay Quadratec and adapt their rack to a set of gutter brackets? They want $120 for theirs, plus shipping.

My Dad & Brother built a stock trailer a few years ago, and bent their own roof ribs, made from 3/4" x 1 1/2" rectangular tubing.

They built a jig with the proper radius, and filled the tubes with sand. Heat them up with a rosette torch, and gently bend them around the jig.

I have a funny feeling that may be a little more fabricating than you want for just 8 corners.

ChiXJeff

Eagle I can bend up 1" square tube in a 6" centerline radius. Either e-mail me or pm me with info about ehat you want and we should be able to work something out.

XmikeJ

eagle....

I can send you some various "crush bent" corners that you coould weld straight sections onto, otherwise, my bender (not the one pictured in recent thread) will preoccupied for some time.....

Back