• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tomken Rear bumper

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished the removal of the stocker and install of the tomken rear with 2" receiver built in. Removal was the hardest, have not had those top nuts off since I did the nutcerts about 4 years ago. Almost went to sears for a 3' long 15mm ratchet type box wrench. Bolted right up, used two points on the nut certs, first ones inside the frame rail to the bumper for a total of 10 attachment points. Had to cut off the two rear most nut certs outside the frame rail as they would not let the bolt plates line up, too high. Used a cut off wheel.
Still need to neaten up the small plates for finishing off the end caps on my 98XJ but all in all a stout bumper...
Also had to chase two of the nut certs plates that never had anything in them, liberal amounts of anti-seize were used for reassembly :D
The tomken does not stick out as much as the stocker, probably 2" further in than the OEM one. Now I have more stuff to take to the bmaj swap meet...

I like my tomken allright, but I ened up bending the strap that go to the nutstrips by backing down a ledge too far, which ended up spitting out the little decorative pieces underneath the lights. I like the compactness of the design, but that reciever catches on everything backingup. I think im going to cut the box steel and recess it into the structure.

I like my Tomken rear also. I made 'new' nut certs out of strap stock and nuts, cause the factory ones were tore up after getting the stock bumper off.

I was digging my rear reciever into stuff, but I usually just leave my pig tail tow hook in it and don't have the problem anymore.

Back