• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

legal to have doors off in cali?

is it legal to do it in a TJ...

-Scott

as long as you have rear view mirrors and a seat belt...go for it.

I've been driving around with my driver's door off. i have a little mirror that I attach when I do so. I have had cops drive past me and look, then keep on going. my understanding is that there is nothing to be found in the California Vehicle Code, but some have been harassed and told that it's only legal if it came with removeable doors (CJ/YJ/TJ). Of course you could point out that yours came with removeable doors too, it just takes 6 torx bolts ;)

basically, just do it, you may get warned in which case the cops in your area are anal and you should leave them on. you almost for sure won't get a ticket, and if you do it would be very easy to fight. get a mirror and wear your seatbelt.

But I hear that if you don't run doors, you might get DW :roflmao: Several of my friends have run no doors for a while and have never been troubled by the cops, and normaly they are very anal about things like that.
How many mirrors do you need? I've seen some cars with 3,2 and 1. So what's legal, 2 or 1?

Starboard M said:
But I hear that if you don't run doors, you might get DW :roflmao: Several of my friends have run no doors for a while and have never been troubled by the cops, and normaly they are very anal about things like that.
How many mirrors do you need? I've seen some cars with 3,2 and 1. So what's legal, 2 or 1?

most places require either 1 rear view mirror or 2 door mirrors.
I'm not 100% sure about cali but i think it's pretty much standard

and you might be onto somthing with the no door = dw thing :roflmao:

I guess it can be argued that motorcycles don't have doors ... the problem is it's not a motorcycle. I don't know specific laws governing the use of altered vehicles on public highways ... here's some fine reading material.

Federal:
http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~zippy/49-CFR-571.html

California:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html

I would be more concerned about getting hit ... than a cop issuing a ticket----you did say you're driving in California !!

May be wise to put some protection between you and the bad drivers.

Good luck.

Back