• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chassis Stiffeners and nerf bars?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, I think I want both, but can you weld nerf bars onto the Chassis Stiffeners?? It looks like they will be right where you want to mount the nerfs? I think the Nerfs would be a higher priority, but I think I'd like a little stiffer chassis too! Has anyone come up with a simple solution to this? :eyes: I'm thinking Chassis stiffeners and Supernerfs.
Any input is appreciated.

oh man...

forget about both of them and save your money for things that are really useful.

Rockrails aren't useful? I think you misunderstood the reference. Supernerfs are the Orgs/JKS rockrails.

Fred

this is a KJ. this is what nerf bars go on.

Jeep%20Liberty%20Nerf.jpg

this is an XJ. this is what real rock rails (like SUPERnerfs) go on.

SUPERNERFDOWN-LR.jpg

zj_rocker_guards_ins_fv.gif

any questions?

mengleff said:
there was a thread here about this not long ago, this was brought up... good idea to integrate the two....

http://detoursusa.com/xjunireinforcer.html

this works great if you don't do your own fabrication.

already built my rails a few months back- will be cladding the uniframe front to back with 3/16" steel c-channel front to back shortly. Can you say, NO unibody squeaks?

ChuckstrPT said:
Ok, I think I want both, but can you weld nerf bars onto the Chassis Stiffeners?? It looks like they will be right where you want to mount the nerfs? I think the Nerfs would be a higher priority, but I think I'd like a little stiffer chassis too! Has anyone come up with a simple solution to this? :eyes: I'm thinking Chassis stiffeners and Supernerfs.
Any input is appreciated.

I think it's a good idea to do both, but I don't know if the T & J chassis stiffeners will interfere with mounting the Supernerfs. I'd just call T & J and ask them. I actually think they will interfere........seems there was an article in one of the mags where they had to remove the stiffeners to install some rock rails, maybe even Supernerfs.

If you have some welding skills, or a friend does, it shouldn't be hard to first mount the stiffeners, then make something so the Supernerfs can be mounted over them. The arms from the Supernerfs to the frame adjust, so you could make something that sticks out past the stiffeners to mount the Supernerfs to.......should be pretty simple to fab up.

Correct, I'm not looking for some POS cromy nerfs. I'm needing some real rock protection. Unfortunately, I've got no access to a welder, nor would I trust my welds. I'm not thinking just welding the mounting tube off of the T&J Chassis stiffeners would be real strong? Although I think the SuperNerfs also bolt to the pinch weld??
Thanks for the help!

It's worse when your roommates mom tells you not to step on the nerf bars on her new f150 because the otherside already broke :(

When I made my rocker gaurds, I bolted attached them to the pinch seam and the unibody frame. It actually helped stiffen it. I do plan on sleeving my unibody frame too though.

I read an article in a mag about the T&J stiffeners and when they installed them they also installed some optional rocker guards that T&J supplied. I would give them a call.

Do the T&J chassis stiffeners weld in or bolt in? If bolt in how hard are they to install?

BAMCHEROKEE88 said:
Do the T&J chassis stiffeners weld in or bolt in? If bolt in how hard are they to install?

Both. from an article I read, they bolt to the front suspension mounts and rear leaf mounts. Then they should be tack welded in place. What someone said about "rocker guards", I think is wrong. They have a plate that will cover the frame rail and weld to the Chassis stiffener. I dont think they have anything for the rockers.

Redcbr007 said:
Ive always thought these are the gay'st looking Jeeps..chrome..plastic crap

Fixed it for you. ^^^

r@m

Back