• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom xj cooling tank

well i am new to the forum and just bought my first xj, a 1990 pioneer with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. It had a leaky cooling bottle when i got it so i custom built an aluminum tank for it out of 1/8 inch with a aluminum radiator fill neck.
I have been running it for about a week now and seems to work fine with a 13 pound standard radiator cap. temp seems pretty steady at about 200 degrees. just wondering if anybody else has tried something like this

Sounds nice. I just went with a 3row GDI and an open system when I converted to the 4.7L stroker. The aluminum tank would probably be a big seller if someone started making them commercially. It's a heck of a lot easier than doing the conversion and its a first class solution

Got any pix?

Summit racing sells them, eagle did his a couple of years ago, pricey if I remember correclty, $80 seems to ring a bell and you need a couple of fittings too.

there is an aluminum bottle that takes a radiator cap that many people have used, I think it's made by Moroso, if I remember right. do a search and you may find it, with a part number.

a better, and more popular modification is to go with the 91(?) and newer open style cooling system

Well if i started producing them comercially they probably would be around $80 but the way i made it it goes right into the factory location with the rubber strap. I would have to check on the cost of the aluminum for the tank but the fill neck cost me $22 although i could probably get a better deal in larger quantitys

I've got the Moroso tank, and a couple of other people have also done this. Somebody posted a pic of their installation awhile ago. Don't recall who -- maybe MaXJohnson?

Back