• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Addition of Injectors???

GomerP

NAXJA Forum User
I asked a buddy of mine if he would make a supercharger kit for my 88 XJ and he said that I should try adding some bigger injectors first to see if I get a nice power increase taht way. I have 30#'s on my mustang, but I also have a custom chip and a 255 lb fuel pump. Can i JUST add say 24# injectors and call it a day? and if so, what kind of power increase would I see??

unless you have a stroker, 24# is overkill and will run extremely rich. you will have a decrease in performance.

19# is recommended for the renix fuel injection.

If I am correct, running rich will not hurt the motor. On my mustang when I take off the blower and leave the custom chip installed, I get a big increase in power when I put the gas pedal to the floor and the chip tells the computer to use more fuel, which causes me to go rich. I would not see this same type of increase with the jeep?

GomerP said:
If I am correct, running rich will not hurt the motor. On my mustang when I take off the blower and leave the custom chip installed, I get a big increase in power when I put the gas pedal to the floor and the chip tells the computer to use more fuel, which causes me to go rich. I would not see this same type of increase with the jeep?

You are not correct. You don't have a custom chip in the XJ. The injectors are optimized for the engine and ECU. Running larger injectors will result in an over-rich mix, lousy gas mileage, premature burn-out of the catalytic converter, and possibly unburned fuel washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

Other than that it won't do any harm at all, so go ahead and do what your buddy suggests. I assume he's a professional Jeep mechanic so he knows what he's talking about?

Back