• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalling Questions

Ocelot

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I did a search, and it seems I'm at least in good company. However in the search I couldn't determine exactly what the most likely cause of my problem(s) is/are.

My Jeep is a 1989 Limited (4.0L/Auto/NP242)

When coming to a stop the Jeep will occasionaly stall. It will restart no problem right away. However, one time I restarted it after it did this and the idle went up to 1800 rpm. I shut it down, restated it, and it shot up to 2600 rpm and stayed there, even when I tried to put it in gear. After shutting it down and leaving it for a while, everything returned to normal. It hasn't done it since then.

Do you guys think the problem(s) is/are related?

Where would you start as far as what the sulprit might be. There has been no work on it so far.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help!

Could be early stages of CPS failure. Mine used to do that. It progressed to not always starting and when it finally did it would idle real high like yours. If it's not acting up now don't worry about it too much... For some reason temperature seemed to effect my CPS too. Cold meant it wouldn't start. Hot meant after you shut it down it didn't want to start again.

Ocelot said:
Well, I did a search, and it seems I'm at least in good company. However in the search I couldn't determine exactly what the most likely cause of my problem(s) is/are.

My Jeep is a 1989 Limited (4.0L/Auto/NP242)

When coming to a stop the Jeep will occasionaly stall. It will restart no problem right away. However, one time I restarted it after it did this and the idle went up to 1800 rpm. I shut it down, restated it, and it shot up to 2600 rpm and stayed there, even when I tried to put it in gear. After shutting it down and leaving it for a while, everything returned to normal. It hasn't done it since then.

Do you guys think the problem(s) is/are related?

Where would you start as far as what the sulprit might be. There has been no work on it so far.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help!

Hmmm have you ever cleaned your throttle body? If so how long ago? Also try searching for I think "idle stepper motor". IIRC the CPS should not make the RPM's jump like that. ALso the jumpy RPM's and stalls are sometimes related to vacuum leaks: see if you got any hissing going on under the hood.

High RPM's do occur when the CPS is going and the engine finally starts. Cleaning the TB and IAC sound like good things too. Cheap and easy.

Thanks all! It seems it usually stalls when the engine isn't warmed up yet. So far its happening very sporadically, and its only done the high idle once. I will clean the TB and IAC to start.

Thanks Again

Back