• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal.......HELP!!!

What year xj ya got? The earlier model HO moters have a two piece seal. I'm not sure about the renix. But in any case...You need to drop your oil pan, loosen the bearing caps on the back end of the crank, pull out the old seal, goop up the new one with vaseline and put it back. I did mine last summer, and it was a lot easier than Ithought it would be. 10 months later and still no leak.

The 4.0L uses a 2-piece rear main seal and doesn't require dropping the tranny. The 2.5L uses a 1-piece seal and DOES require removing the transmission (at least in the early years).

Thanks guys, I was very scared that this was going to be a very hard thing to fix. It doesn't seem to be that bad, just the fact of watching out for the crankshaft.....but oh well!!

Tip, degrease/pressure wash the pan and bottom of engine before starting!! I wrecked a pair of mechanics gloves on mine because there was so much crud!

Also after cleaning and before working on get either a full face shield or a pair of good safey glasses. You are going to be working on your back and there's going to be stuff dropping on you...darn dell keyboardsssss

:lecture: Jeep has a TSB on longevity of the rear main seal. It says to fill the 3/4" hole on the bottom of the block with RTV to help keep dust dirt out from the rear side of the seal. It did it in about 5 minutes, don't know if it helped ,but I figured that it might keep me from having to replace it again.

Back