• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head question

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've read it somewhere here before, but I can't remember. Did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm thinking of trading my 93 XJ for a newer one. I know that 97/98's have a head cracking problem, but what about 00/01's? Is it just the two years or is it from 97 up? If it is, I'll just keep my 93. Thanks.
Mike Harris

HUH, Head cracking problem, nope, exhaust manifold cracking problem yes.

The WJ 4.0 heads with casting no. 0331 were also used in the XJ from '00 onwards and these have a reputation for cracking in the middle if the engine overheats. The earlier HO heads with casting nos. 7120 and 0630 are not crack-prone, but the pre-'00 exhaust manifolds are known to crack where the secondary pipes join the collector.

RichP said:
HUH, Head cracking problem, nope, exhaust manifold cracking problem yes.
Well, I know I found several posts with 97/98's with cracked heads right under the oil filler cap and a few people said they were prone to cracking. I think the replacement head has an X on it about the same place where it cracks but I can't remember. I'd hate to buy a newer one and have the head crack on me.

Mike Harris

Back