• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Book Value of XJs?

martin

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

I had the misfortune of a 19 year old coed run a red light, hit the front bumper of the 18 wheeler in the intersection and then slam into the driver's side back seat door of my XJ and turned it 90 degrees.

I am wondering if there is a web site that shows the value of XJs beside NADA, KBB, Edmunds, etc.

I am not getting the "too much damage we will have to total the vehicle".

Thanks

Martin

PS the only good think is her Honda civic had to be towed on a flat bed, I drove my XJ home.

NADA, Kelley and Edmunds -- you've got them. Those are the three that everyone uses, and IMHO Kelley's values are unrealistically high. The only folks around here who actually use Kelley are the tax assessors, and people who are selling and need to justify a high asking price.

An '88 probably isn't going to be worth all that much, to be honest. If you got hit hard enough to damage the unibody I can't believe they wouldn't total it. Are you looking for a higher price or a lower one -- what's he plan?

Martin,

Sorry to hear the bad news. Hope you don't lose the XJ, given all the work you have done on it.

On a selfish note. . . I realise you inherited the XJ, as did I, but if you do lose it I hope you get another.

I've followed(made use of) many of your responses on the forums, and I'd hate to think that the info would dry up.

Eagle,

I do not know what they plan to do. Last week I collected my receipts and made a spreadsheed of the information. I then printed it out using Access and showed the work by system - you know drive, suspension, engine control, engine, electrical, etc.

The adjuster was doing the "too much damage" dance. I then laid on him my 15 page print out - it about 3 pages in Excel - and said "I have done all this work and totaling is not an option."

I printed out the NADA and KBB info on my 88 XJ Pioneer and have it in the file. I am sure he was using the "low retail" value.

Thanks for the input, I guess it the wait and see game. I just wonder how these adjuster types sleep at night.

Martin

With an '88 you may be like me and dropped the Collision coverage many years ago. If you still have it, though, look at the possibility of having your own insurance company repair your rig under the collision coverage. It'll temporarily cost you your deductable, but your company then "subrogates" against the young lady's insurance company, since they are ultimately liable, and when they get paid you get your deductable back.

I have gone that route twice in the past and it saves a lot of hassles. If I understand the process correctly, it removes the adjusters from the equation. Once your insurance company agrees to pay, the other company pretty much has to get on board as an industry-wide reciprocal agreement.

Hope it works out for you.

Eagle,

Unlike most people I do have full coverage on all my vehicles. I do have filing a claim in my back pocked. I am taking Friday off and going to get estimates for myself paying and specifying new OEM parts. I know of a 88 XJ with a good door near by and in my color that may work. I may fix it, file the claim with my company and call it over.

I did go out to lunch today, we took the Secretary. I was riding in the back seat since I still don't care for the intersection where Olive Garden is located. It is the same intersection where hte accident happened. As we left I noticed the skid marks from my accident 9 days ago were still on the street.

I went by after dinner and took shots for my own records. This Coed was way out of control, still had a 50+ foot long skid mark on the road before she hit me. She hit me at something close to a 25 degree angle from what I can tell on the pavement. If I was forward another 7 feet she may of passed right by :(

I'll keep you guys informed.

Martin

Back