• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emergency brake button?

Rough 01

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question,

I have a 98 Sport, auto and the button on the end of the emergency brake broke off this morning. It was kind of funny since it made a loud popping sound and then went flying around the cab. My question is can I go buy the button and push it back in or do I need a whole new lever.

The exact same thing happened to my 93. All it cost me to fix it though was some super glue. Just take the button and the spring and play with it so you know how it goes back in. Then put some super glue on the all-thread where the button slides on top of it, with the spring in place of course, and hold it while it dries.

Hasn't failed me again yet.

Dirk Funk said:
The exact same thing happened to my 93. All it cost me to fix it though was some super glue. Just take the button and the spring and play with it so you know how it goes back in. Then put some super glue on the all-thread where the button slides on top of it, with the spring in place of course, and hold it while it dries.

Hasn't failed me again yet.
I went a step forward. I filed off the ridges (cause it's not reall thread that you got over htere) and then I made a thread and found a matching nut to hold it all in and finally I gutted the inside of the button to go over the nut and superglued that in.

Btw, if you do a search you will come across at least 2 threads that cover this in a lot of details.

Kejtar said:
Btw, if you do a search you will come across at least 2 threads that cover this in a lot of details.

I did do a quick search before posting but I guess I didn't search hard enough. Thanks for the help and I've now used epoxy to glue it back into place. While I was at it I found a large crack under the tray in the center console that I also glued back together. It was under the air vent duct on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Rough

yeah I had that happen and haven't fixed it. I have a manual so I use it everytime I park, but I just pull the rod out with my index finger when I apply the brake. When I release the brake all I do is pull up on the handle and the rod drops back releasing the ratchet thing. It makes for lots of fun in the snow beacuse all I have to do if reach down and yank on the handle and as soon as I let it go its relased.

Back