• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning injectors or old ones???

xj2k

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I have my new motor all set to go into my jeep. The motor has 5,000 miles but sat on a shelf for the past year and a half. I pulled the fuel rail and there was a bit of old crappy gas. Now, I'm worried this might have gummed up the injectors from sitting so long. The injectors do smell like old gas.

Should I reuse the injectors off my '00 XJ motor (75,000 miles), or use the new ones. If I use the new ones should I worry about cleaning them out somehow and if so, what's the best technique. I have all the injectors off the motor sitting in a box now.

What should I do? :dunno:

xj2k said:
OK, I have my new motor all set to go into my jeep. The motor has 5,000 miles but sat on a shelf for the past year and a half. I pulled the fuel rail and there was a bit of old crappy gas. Now, I'm worried this might have gummed up the injectors from sitting so long. The injectors do smell like old gas.

Should I reuse the injectors off my '00 XJ motor (75,000 miles), or use the new ones. If I use the new ones should I worry about cleaning them out somehow and if so, what's the best technique. I have all the injectors off the motor sitting in a box now.

What should I do? :dunno:

I would try soaking the injectors in cleaner, just the tips, in like a baby food jar. I would think this would help. 5,000 mile injectors should be better than 75k.

any other ideas guys?

You could have them cleaned on fixture now that they are out. That way the pattern is also checked as part of the cleaning process. It will show you any bad injectors with a poor pattern.

ok, how do I do this? Do I have to send them away, if so, where, how much, how long!
Thanks for the info!

Mark

xj2k said:
ok, how do I do this? Do I have to send them away, if so, where, how much, how long!
Thanks for the info!

Mark

first, i would call some local places to see if they do injector service. try a local speed shop, napa, pepboys.....

what does old gas smell like???

varnishy kind of smell, it just smells 'bad', don't know any other way to describe it.
Alot of times you will find local diesel repair places that clean injectors, ever priced an injector for a Cat or big detroit, believe me they try to clean them first. :D

I just had mine cleaned an flow tested it was like $11 or $14 per injector worth every penny do it while their out much easier to do and also they give ya new o rings impossible expensive from the dealer now....
good luck
themud

well, i called all the shops around here and they're all dumbasses. Half tell me they can clean them in the car, I say no shit anyone can do that, I need them cleaned and flow tested out of the car. The others tell me they can't be cleaned and need to be replaced, WTF??? I guess I'm going to have to send them away to be cleaned. I'll send away the 5k mile ones while using the old ones and then swap in the new ones once cleaned. I think this is the best bet!! Anyone know any good online cleaning places??

Mark

The guys I used are in phx AZ small shop all they do is injectors and alot of the drag guys around here send their stuff to them I dont remember the address but their # is 602-233-9494 and thats on AZ time(we dont change like everyone else) good guys they know their stuff...pm me if youve got more Qs...
themud
ps I can get a addy if you want but Id call them first...

When they say that they clean them on the car, most of the time they are putting in a can of BG44K. It works wonders on not only the injectors but the combustion chamber as well. I wouldn't waste my time having the injectors cleaned before running a can through the system. In fact, I run a can through each of my vehicles every 10K miles or so. Don't mix up BG44K with the cheap STP and the like crap. They are not even in the same league. Beware, but BG44K runs around $20

I realized that is what they meant, and I knew I could easily do it myself that is why I was so frustrated with them.

Will this cleaner remove any clogs from old gas? Where do I buy it, is there a web site with info on using this stuff. I'm assuming I'll need a kit to hook it up to the car. Ah hell, maybe I'll do a search and see if I can find the answers for myself!!! :read:

thanks for the replies so far guys!!

Mark

I'd have to dig round but I remember running across an injection cleaning setup for around $200 with adapters. You need to supply solvent and compressed air but it's no big deal, small hobby compressor will work. Check under 'diesel engine repair' said above those are the places that really clean them on a regular basis.
For 'in the car' the 3M cleaning kit attaches to the fuel rail and runs off a can of fuel/cleaner in a cannister. Thats around $100 at NAPA.

BG44K is a can of stuff you dump in the gas tank. No tools needed. I built my stroker and after starting it, it was running like crap and several of the injectors were only half way working. I went to Advance Auto and got a can. I put it in while I was in their parking lot. Before I got 4 miles back home, everything was purring like a kitten.

Back