• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack wish list

XmikeJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of designing / building a new roof rack and I was just wondering what do you have designed in your rack that you love? Also what don't you have that you wish that you did? I finally bought my Pro-Tools 105 bender and have the dies for 1" square tube with a 6" CL radius so this is what I will base it off of. Currently I have plans for a spare tire mount, aux. back-up lights, CB antenna mount and removable adapters for my two Yakima Steelhead bike racks.

Come on guys don't hold back.

XmikeJ

hi-lift

Hey G, do you have a link to someone who sells the NATO gerry cans? What would be a reasonable price to pay for them?

Roof Rub Rails. With the amount of scaring mine have now I'd hate to see what the roof line would look without them.

Matt

Image306.jpg

FarmerMatt:

Diggin' the full length roofrack! Did you fab it up? If so, what are the specs on it? (height, tube size, kind of gutter mounts, etc..)

Thanks,
Ashley

Also, just to show...

I've got an imitation NATO can (got it at Kragen, personlly I'd go for the real thing for peace of mind), anyway, I had it up on the roof on it's side and didn't spill a drip!

NATO.jpg

Originally the rack was attached by the nutserts that the stock rack rails attach by. This lasted for a couple years until just recently I attached it to an internal cage through the same holes. The rub rails are 1.25" tube. The main rails are 1.5" square. The top rail is raised up 4" & is made of 1" tube. The floor is expanded metal & is supported be 3/4" square tube. Here's a bigger pic. Sorry for those on dial up.

Matt

Image107.jpg

XmikeJ said:
Hey G, do you have a link to someone who sells the NATO gerry cans? What would be a reasonable price to pay for them?

Gary Olen at Sportsman's Guide ( www.sportsmansguide.com ) often has them in his surplus catalog, and if he has any they'll be on his web site. And he sells them cheap. He says they are used, but I bought two and they don't look to me like they were ever used, they look like they sat on a shelf for twenty years.

This is what my old roof rack looked like. I sold it in order to finance the build up of the new one. I did order some laser cut panels for the new rack today. They said that they might have them done some time in the morning. I'll post a picture when I can.

roof%20rack.jpg

keep the weight down. My rack ended up weighing about 150# without the spare or highlift. I didn't like that extra weight up there on off camber stuff.

SeanP

I finally finished most of my rack todayand put it on the Jeep. I only weigh in at about 50# without anything on it. Reall think it out because this is the tird rack I have built in the past four years. I wll try to post pics later.

So if I add a couple of the NATO gerry cans along with a hi-lift jack mount and some roof rub bars I should have the perfect rack. Is there anything that I should avoid to keep from spoiling this excelent rack to be?

Back