• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Windows??

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I am new to this Jeep stuff. I just purchased my first Jeep last wednesday. I went to roll down the window on the front driver side door and it went down about half way and now will not go back up. The windows in the rear two doors work just fine, they are a little slow, but nonetheless work. The passenger front door window doesn't work at all. I was wondering if it is possible to get my driver side front window back up??? I need it back up and then I will not roll it back down until I can buy new motors. I was wondering if I could remove the motors from the rear windows and put them into the front windows? Please help ASAP!!! Thanks in advance.

Pull the door panel loose at the bottom and pull it partially away, reach in and down (with your left hand) until you feel the lower rear edge of the glass. Apply some upward pressure to the glass as (with your right hand) you press the appropriate switch to the up position. If there's still power to the switch and motor, this has always worked for me as an emergency . . . Don

Last edited:
I tried that last night, but it was a no go!!! It is permenantly stuck down. Would that mean that it is the motor? or could the switch be bad? Thanks for the help!! Do you think, if I disconnect the window motor, would that put it in a "limp" stage and make it possible to push the window up by hand? I am just trying anything I can right now. I am very desperate to get that back up. I have to drive my 99 Mustang GT until I can get the window up and I am not happy about that.

"Would that mean that it is the motor or could the switch be bad?" possibly

"Do you think, if I disconnect the window motor, would that put it in a "limp" stage and make it possible to push the window up by hand?" I do not think that will work

Actually, I'm having an intermittent/similar problem with my '88 and I'm pretty certain mine is a "conection-thing" . . . . first, try slamming the door............... hey, it's been working for me

Next, (and what I'm going to be doing 'soon as I can or have to, whichever occurs first) remove the switch panel and check-out the connections . . . 'from there, you're on to switch, motor, etc.

'Hope this helps! Don

I am having the same issue. I actually spent about 30 minutes last night trying to get my window back up. I know I have a connection problem. Try wiggling the wires that run into the motor while you are pushing the switch up. I have always been able to get the window up by doing this. I am planning on taking the motor out and beefing up the connections, soon. I have found that you can wiggle your arm up to the right spot without taking the whole panel off. You can just pop the bottom half off and try to get in there. If your door panels are in really good shape, I would suggest you try not to bend them too much, though. Mine are a little worn out. I think we all know this is an embarassing problem that always surfaces at the wrong friggin' time. HTH

amen

When you open the door there is a rubber boot that covers the wiring going to the door. Access the wires inside this boot and check for broken wires.

Good point about checking the rubber boot. I know I have some chaffed wires in there. One thing to note about taking the motor out is it is riveted in. You have to drill these out and use another method of attaching it again. I suppose some of you might have a big a$$ rivet gun, but I do not. I am not sure what size bolt/nut combo you need to put it back in. There really isn't much room to work, so watch those sharp edges.

Also, there is a good write-up on upgrading the power window wires/relays on this site. I am going to tackle that this summer, but, there is no point in doing that upgrade if you don't have a solid connection to the motor.

Hey thanks guys for all the help!! I have tried some of the things you guys suggested already and some of them I haven't....such as slamming the door, I will try that tonight.

My drivers door has the same problem within 2 inches of going down. Took it all apart, drilling the rivits etc. Could not find a replacement at the yard so dunked oil on the sheathing (sp?) and put it back together using 1/4 bolts (i think). When it gets stuck, I hit the door panel. If that doesn't work, I slam the door. This winter I didn't have a problem! I think the oil is getting in!

Where is the thread for the upgrade?

My Jeep had the same symptoms you describe and slamming the door worked for about 6 weeks. One day I rolled the window down and it decided it was not going to go back up no matter how much abuse I gave that door. I found that I could get the window back up by pulling the whole switch assembly out and by pressing that switch up and to the left with alot of pressure. Sounds wierd but it worked until I was able to find a new switch at the pull yard. Now no more problems.

Something to think about if you have more trouble.

Sorry guys. I had my head up where the sun doesn't shine on this one. :looser: The good write up I mentioned deals with the power locks...not the windows. It is here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1874&highlight=power+locks I am not sure if the windows are powered the same way. Either way, I am sure we are all in the same boat with the locks, as well.

I´ve fixed 4, pre 91 XJ´s so far with the window wire broken in the same spot. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the small black plastic junction box on the motor. Drilling out the rivets and removing the motor isn´t that big of a deal, it can be done on the front door without removing the window channel, like recommended in the Haynes book. 1/4" nuts and bolts with a split ring washer will put things back together pretty quick.
The window motor and cable guide can be removed, in one piece, kind of a chinese puzzle to figure out how to bend and twist to get it out of there, but I´ve done it enough times to know it´s possible.
The wire runs into the junction box on the motor, with some strange reverse spade connectors (made in France). Popping the cover off of the back of the small black plastic junction box, will allow you to cut out the worn piece of wire and install normal spade crimp connectors.
The wire is broken under the insulation, hard to see.
Lubricating the cable (motorcycle chain oil works well) and the window runners in the door with a silicon spray or dry powder lub. will really help them function better.

Oh, I guess I neglected to mention . . . . the "slamming-the-door-thing" is (as my father-in-law used to say) tempinary (sic) at best ......... BTW, in the life of my '88, I actually did, once, replace that door switch assembly with a new one from the stealership . . . . given their usual thievry tactics, I was actually amazed at how reasonable I thought that assembly was. if my memory is anywhere near accurate, it was 'round $20. Don

Yeah, I know I need to fix it and not keep slamming the door. I will eventually get to a good wrecking yard and find the parts that I need. Thanks guys for all the help!!

Back