• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch mount bumper suggestions

mike86xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building my own front bumper/winch mount and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I was going to use 3/8 plate along the outside of the frame to just behind the large hole past the steering box. with as many bolts as possible (somthing like theese http://www.rigidco.com/web3_FbW_mounting_system_640_256c_P6240004.JPG )

and more 3/8 plate welded across the top for mounting my winch (just to the width of the frame mounts.

then a single 2.5" 1/4" wall tube bent to wrap around the winch mount and extending out to the fenders --\__/-- sorta like that

and i will incorporate d-rings in there somewhere

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Mike

mike86xj said:
will 1/4" stand up to a 12,000 pound winch?
my rear bumper is all 1/4" bracketry with a single 2.5" 1/4" wall tube but it doesnt have to hold a big a*$ winch

I can't say for sure, I don't ahve a winch, but I do know that 95% of all the bumper fabricators do not use 3/8" plate. The other factor is, do you want to tear out your frame, just because you are using 3/8" plate doesn't mean your frame will hold up.

Do get me wrong, an XJ can handle a 12k winch, I'm not saying that, but if you have enough force to tear up 1/4", then you are going to damage more than thos bumper mounts. 3/8" wouldn't even make a difference. Like mentioned above, weight is something to consider, either for winching or for the strain on your drivetrain.

Honestly, the best move you can make is buying Rigidco's mounting kit (Just the bumper kit, not the winch mount). At $75 it was the best money I spent when making my bumper. By incorporating the front bulkhead brace into the bumper mount it strengthend the whole front end considerably.
As for metal thickness, 1/4" is fine for the winch mounting plate, 3/16" for the bumper mounting plates, and .120" wall for the bumper itself.

i would buy the rigidco mounts, but i have no money so if i can build it all the better
besides i have a friend that works at a place that sell's steel and i can get some smaller stuff for free (probably have to buy the tube)

ChuckD
how far do the bumper mounts on your website stick out past the frame?
I am going to pilfer your bracket design. is it the same for the right and left?

I dont know about pulling 3 xj's up a hill but i think it could lift 3 right off the ground maybe even 4.
I got the winch extremley cheap but i still need some parts to make it complete.
they say (make use of what you have) so thats what i'm going to do

I just have to wonder how 1/4" plate for the bumper brackets will handle side pulls with the winch (I know it's better to pull from straight ahead but sometimes it's unavoidable)

Load spreading is essential for mounting a winch bumper. You don't want to tear your XJ in pieces while winching.

I used 1/4" plate for the brackets that also incorporate the bolts for the steering box which stiffens also the frame for the box. Here is an early picture of it. But you may have to use some longer bolts.

abl.sized.jpg

Because of the brackets not easily removable due to the steering box bolts i decided to do something different. I built a box that will hold the winch and is bolted at the sides to the brackets and at the rear to the frame and is open in front. The bumper bolts to the outside of the brackets and the tabs go through a cut in the actual bumper front and act as towing points.

I made the "box" for the winch with 6 holes in the side so the bumper would mount to the four front holes (2 at the brackets and 2 at the "box") when using the winch box. If i decide not to use a winch i can detach the "box" and the bumper then mounts to the 4 holes at the brackets.

With winch box

abp.sized.jpg

and without

abv.sized.jpg

When the bumper is removed (4 bolts) you can easily work at the winch which remains mounted.

XJoachim said:
Load spreading is essential for mounting a winch bumper. You don't want to tear your XJ in pieces while winching.

I used 1/4" plate for the brackets that also incorporate the bolts for the steering box which stiffens also the frame for the box. Here is an early picture of it. But you may have to use some longer bolts.

abl.sized.jpg

Because of the brackets not easily removable due to the steering box bolts i decided to do something different. I built a box that will hold the winch and is bolted at the sides to the brackets and at the rear to the frame and is open in front. The bumper bolts to the outside of the brackets and the tabs go through a cut in the actual bumper front and act as towing points.

I made the "box" for the winch with 6 holes in the side so the bumper would mount to the four front holes (2 at the brackets and 2 at the "box") when using the winch box. If i decide not to use a winch i can detach the "box" and the bumper then mounts to the 4 holes at the brackets.

With winch box

abp.sized.jpg

and without

abv.sized.jpg

When the bumper is removed (4 bolts) you can easily work at the winch which remains mounted.

I was going to do pretty much that but i was going to weld it all. now that you mention it it would be nice to be able to have the winch removeable since it's a dd

thanks for all the help
Mike

ChuckD said:
I think 3/8" is way overkill also. Think form not thickness. Even though our XJ's are molded sheet metal they are still pretty strong. 1/4" would be a better choice.

Check my website. I have ridid co like plans for the bumper mount.

You drawing doesnt work!We had a friend do 2 sets(CNC plasma) to try out and alot of the holes are off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RCP Phx said:
You drawing doesnt work!We had a friend do 2 sets(CNC plasma) to try out and alot of the holes are off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you use the cad drawing or just from the blueprint?
did you check your brackets against the blueprint he has on his site as well?
what year is the cherokee you tried theese on?

mike86xj said:
did you use the cad drawing or just from the blueprint?
did you check your brackets against the blueprint he has on his site as well?
what year is the cherokee you tried theese on?

We used the PDF drawing!Tried them on a 96,a 2000,and a brand new set of C-Rock braces!
No model year changes that I know about!

Last edited:
RCP Phx said:

Well did you use the correct dimensions! There are two different ones! Also did you think to actually measure your jeep before going though all that trouble! :rattle:

:D

Just joking, sorry to hear about the CNC problem. I need to put a disclaimer on my page. I have yet to do these myself, and I'm sorry if anyone has wasted any money on these plans. They are orginally not mine, or created by me, but I am to blame.

Just make sure you used the correct dimension for your model year. I'll try to do some measurements myself to verify the earlier XJ measurements.

BTW, if they don't work for you could you ship them to me! :D:D:D

Back