• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering whine

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I took my Jeep out with the kids today for a good off road field trip today. I was very happy with the way it ran with the exception of the power steering. My old play area has a lot of sand, so there is a lot of wheel spinning and not a huge rush of cooling air over the engine. After a few minutes, it started to whine. I checked the fluid, it was fine and after letting it cool down it subsided. As soon as we got it hot again it came back. On the pavement afterwards it was fine and back to normal after the drive home.

I have heard of running ATF in these boxes, anyone have any luck with it??

Weird, I think I am having the same problem. Only happens when its been running and nice and hot outside. When it has time to cool down, it goes away.

I did a power swap and I get a whine from my pump when turning the wheels....it whines any time, every turn....skreeches when bitterly cold out until it warms up...and it really complains when I turn against the steering lock....

but maybe thats becuz the pump I used is a P'n'P special..........

SPSERG said:
I have heard of running ATF in these boxes, anyone have any luck with it??

I know some people do run ATF in there power steering boxes.
Some of the experts believe it can harden the seal prematurely. I’ve been running synthetic power steering for sometime and work great but a little expensive compared stranded fluid.

Just my 2 cents worth

Xman

you need to put a PS cooler in. It's VERY simple and cheap to do as it goes in front of the radiator and plumbs in fairly quickly. The noise you hear is very common and is usually because the fluid gets too hot. As soon as I start going off road I get it and after cooler installation it was better but not totally eliminated. I run bigger tires and wheel hard however. Better to do it sooner rather than later after the damage sets in.

I was considering changing the PS lines, they are getting rusty. So I assume that the best time to do it would be while setting up a cooler.

Replace the fluid with Lucas Powersteering Fluid. Stops the noise. I ran it in mine until I replaced it, ran for about 2 years. Helps to lube the seals and stop all the noise. Use a turky baster to get the old fluid out and put the whole Luca bottle fluid in there. About 9 bucks at the parts stores. Juice

Back