• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing a np231

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
I need some advise. i am in desperate need of a new transfer case. i seen you can buy the nv241or from out of the rubicon. I already have a woody and the sye kit on my POC 231 would the rubi case be a direct bolt in w/out any mods or fabs. if anyone knows about this or has 1 let me know. or if anyone knows of a real good deal on a 3.8 atlas. thanks

moneypitxj said:
I need some advise. i am in desperate need of a new transfer case. i seen you can buy the nv241or from out of the rubicon. I already have a woody and the sye kit on my POC 231 would the rubi case be a direct bolt in w/out any mods or fabs. if anyone knows about this or has 1 let me know. or if anyone knows of a real good deal on a 3.8 atlas. thanks

what year is your jeep? IIRC there as a spline count change so that might be a problem, but if you have matching spline count it should be a bolt on.

Yeah, need more info....year, motor, etc. BTW, what's wrong with you're current t-case?

NP231's aren't a bad xfer case on an XJ. What's the problem with yours? I can get you a rebuilt NP231 w/sye for $550 plus shipping. That would have new chain, bearings, seals, and pads. Not trying to sell you anything but just to give you a idea of what can be had. I can get you a FSM for that NP231 if you need it.

i have a 94 xj with an ax-15. my current t-case keeps on popping out of 4-lo 4-hi and 2-hi work fine. it just the 4-lo it is hard to engage then when i t does go in wheelin it pops out real easy. ive taken it apart too many times. checked all the usual things. nothing seems to be wrong im thinking there must be something bent part or wore down gears. besides i think i can get a 241or for about $1600. where as getting a new or used 231 plus the 4:1 kit and the 2lo would be right around that price.

Ya - the 241 is a newer case.

I'd have to check the manual, but it sounds like a minor rebuild may be in order. Doesn't the 231 have a tendency to jump when the shift fork pads are shot, or is my memory failing again? Either way, I'd think it would cost rather less than $1600 to fix it all!

5-90

Yeah, shift pads worn internally, or plastic grommets in the shift linkage externally. I fixed my last low range engaging problem with new $2 plastic linkage grommets. Get 'em from the dealer, easily worth a try.

Back