• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with rear bumper

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i have the old one off and it doesnt seem to be really on there solid. i was thinking of using some of the mounting points on my tow hitch to make it stronger. how would i do it?

If what you are saying is how do I beef up the mounting points for my stock bumper, I think you are wasting your time. That stock thang is a piece.

I would highly recommend ripping it off and putting a nice steel one on though. You are right on with mounting it to the hitch.

If this is what you are going to do, think of sandwiching the frame rail in between the hitch and the bumper mounts.

As in, your bumper mounts will be square stock slid into the frame rail and bolted throught to the hitch.

I even welded some plate perpindicular to the square tubing so I could use the original bumper tie in points (4 bolts to bracket).

Then just put whatever the hell you want on the square tubing for your bumper. I used 4x6 or 3x6, cant' remember.

If this isn't what you were thinking, I wouldn't mess with it. Seems like a lot of work for nothing. That stock bumper is going to get all bent up before the mounting points fail.

Just my opinion, hope yer helped out.

Dirk Funk said:
If what you are saying is how do I beef up the mounting points for my stock bumper, I think you are wasting your time. That stock thang is a piece.

I would highly recommend ripping it off and putting a nice steel one on though. You are right on with mounting it to the hitch.

If this is what you are going to do, think of sandwiching the frame rail in between the hitch and the bumper mounts.

As in, your bumper mounts will be square stock slid into the frame rail and bolted throught to the hitch.

I even welded some plate perpindicular to the square tubing so I could use the original bumper tie in points (4 bolts to bracket).

Then just put whatever the hell you want on the square tubing for your bumper. I used 4x6 or 3x6, cant' remember.

If this isn't what you were thinking, I wouldn't mess with it. Seems like a lot of work for nothing. That stock bumper is going to get all bent up before the mounting points fail.

Just my opinion, hope yer helped out.

That last part I never thought of. Use thick enough 1/2" or 3/4" steel so that you can drill and tap the corresponding holes for the gas tank skid plate and they would replace the nutcert plates, you would just need them for a template initially. Exteneded out past the hole they slide into you could do alot with that...
Agree, beefing up the stock bumper is a waste, Tomken makes the cheapest priced bumper for the XJ and you can get it with a 2" receiver built in, around $255 if I remember correctly. That mounts to the stock mount points and also has straps that attach to the frame rails for the 2" recevier model. They have one without the receiver but the receiver model gives you a rear tow point by using a shackle or hook insert...

i used the factory nutstrip for a hitch to bolt a 7" long piece of 2" angle to each side of the frame, at the factory hitch mount point. then i cut a 34" (i think) long piece of 2"x2" and welded it between the angle,which connected the two frame rails together, this basically made a hitch without the reciever slot.which is also tucked up behind the bumper nicely, then i ran a strip of 2"x1/2" steel, mounted to the angle, out through slots (i cut)in the bumper for my tow hook points. but if you only want to beef up the factory bumper pull it off, weld a stip of 1/4" by 3" along the inside and reinforce it by welding some braces between the strip and your hitch. but with the hitch you shouldn't need the bumper for anything other than looks or the law.

Back